shaney_96

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
I'll get right into it..
By the way I'm not complaining about my RS being hacked, it's much more serious than that.

Years ago (like in 2007) my runescape account was hacked. I played Runescape again last year when the Old School version was released, after a month or two it was hacked into, I found the IP and it was somewhere in Vilnius, Lithuania (when you log into runescape it tells you where you last logged in from). After this hack I stopped playing (didn't bother changing my password as I just let stopped playing).

About a month back I resumed playing the game, I never got hacked or anything and I had changed my password...

A few weeks back I went downstairs, when coming back upstairs onto my computer I saw that there was somebody typing into my URL bar, stating my RuneScape username and password , it also said something like "we are not the same, fuck ;)"...

I also play counter strike global offensive, and it has happened a couple of times where it would just start randomly pressing buttons and firing my gun mid-game, last week he started typing my runescape username and password in the chat for everyone to see.. I deleted it before he could hit enter.

Finally, I logged into steam today and it said I am logged in from Moscow, Russia (http://gyazo.com/bbfa515df71d48410d3b8233720f3e1a <-- that's the printscreen). It's also said I've been logged in from another country.

The thing is... This "guy" or "guys" have never used my passwords for other stuff (I've changed my passwords for most things now). But surely they have a keylogger to track this password from runescape? Even if they don't, I'm pretty scared that people are accessing my computer and I do not know how they have done it. What should I do? I've browsed the internet and I find the average "change your passwords" etc. I have anti-malware and anti-virus etc but that's proven no success. Please can anybody advise what I should/what I should install to prevent these from continuously accessing my computer. I do understand that now they have access to my computer that it may be hard to rid of them.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated as I am quite worried about what may happen. I do scans on my computer and nothing is ever traced. Do I really have to erase everything from my computer and start fresh with a brand new OS and change my IP? I don't mind if that's the only option, but I'd just love to know what I can do.

Please respond if you have any suggestions.

Regards, Luke

Solution

Actually, no one has confirmed that the OS is pirated. You suggested it was a pirated install, and the OP said, "I completely agree about the OS being pirated," because, "the OS doesn't seem to function 100% correctly, some...

shaney_96

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

When you say full wipe, that means deleting EVERYTHING off the pc right? So everything off of my hard drive? Also, does reinstilling my OS mean buying a new one and just starting COMPLETELY fresh?

USAFRet

Illustrious

What OS do you have now? Do you have the license key?

And yes...everything must go.

shaney_96

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

I bought the PC second-hand, I'm pretty sure that's nothing to do with me being hacked, as it was pretty much completely fresh (he wiped it before selling it). So yeah I don't have a licence key but will be willing to buy a fresh Windows 7. I currently have windows 8 at the moment.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes, go buy a new OS, either 7 or 8.

You bought it second hand...was the OS installed, or was it fully wiped clean when you got it?

shaney_96

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

Yes the OS was installed, and to be honest, the OS doesn't seem to function 100% correctly, some features of Windows 8 don't always work. Although this sounds peculiar, you must consider that I've had the PC for around a year only recently has this stuff been going on.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Personally, I would suspect you have a pirated OS install.
Used PC, no license key, activity on your Steam account from Moscow....

Change passwords using a different PC.
Wipe and reinstall.

This is why, for any used PC, the first action should be a full reinstall of the OS from known good media.

shaney_96

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

I completely agree about the OS being pirated, I will go and completely wipe my PC later this evening. Please can you, or anybody else, recommend the safest and best way to wipe a hard-drive (it's the hard-drive I'm wiping right as that contains the OS? That made me sound like a newb but I just wanna make sure)? I've heard of http://www.dban.org/ and just wondered if this is the best way?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes, DBAN will do it. Given what you have, thats probably what I would use on a family members PC.

shaney_96

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

Thanks for your continuous responses, I appreciate it. I will undergo this procedure of wiping my pc and resetting all my password tonight. I will update this thread in a week or two and see if it has solved the problem.

Regards, Luke

shaney_96

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

One final thought: Is it safe to save all of my work to a USB? I'm guessing I can't save installations to a USB but can I save work to a USB? The infection, or whatever it is, won't have found its way onto my word documents etc and saved itself there?

shaney_96

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

One final thought: Is it safe to save all of my work to a USB? I'm guessing I can't save installations to a USB but can I save work to a USB? The infection, or whatever it is, won't have found its way onto my word documents etc and saved itself there?

USAFRet

Illustrious

It is 'possible', but not likely. Save them to a USB, and before you let any OS access it, do a thorough scan from a bootable antivirus CD.

swiftleeo

Estimable
Jul 20, 2014

I would just do a full format (DBAN will work) and reinstall Windows 7. Don't waste extra money; Just buy a copy of Windows 7 and install it yourself, it will more than likely be cheaper as they will usually charge you for the new OS plus labor... Installing is easy, then you just use a different PC to grab the drivers for your system and you're good to go. The person who "hacked" your computer or Steam account is most likely spoofing their DNS and IP, thus why it keeps showing up in different places.