Computer monitor as a TV with coaxial cable

mkovach

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015
Hi all,

I have a monitor that I would like to watch TV (sports) on. My apt only has coaxial cables in the walls. My thinking is that I can buy a Blu-ray player with coaxial input and HDMI output to work as an adapter (Something like this one perhaps http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDPS5500-Blu-Ray-Player-Wi-Fi/dp/B00TYFCJOM/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1439930726&sr=1-4).

My monitor is a newer "gaming monitor" and will play Blu-ray just fine.

Will this work? Will I be able to use the Blu-ray remote to change channels?

Blu Ray players do not have RF coax inputs. The one in the link has a digital audio coaxial output. They don't make that clear. You will need a way to tune and change channels in any case.
Depending on where you are you will need to get a over the air tuner or cable box (with HDMI out) depending on what that RF cable to connected to (roof antenna or cable system).

What kind of comes out of your coax cable?
For basic TV channels, or over-the-air, an USB HD TV tuner is all you need.
For cable channels, life is not that easy. Most modern cable settop boxes provide HDMI-only video output, and it will be difficult (read: expensive) to put this into your laptop. It would be easier / cheaper to get $100 monitor for that.

In both cases you will have to spend some money, and if $100 is in your reach, get cheapest 20" TV from your local Wallmart / BestBuy