Mike Tornado

Estimable
Sep 5, 2016
Hello. So i have 2nd gen core i3-2100 cpu processor and according to intel, it supports 1066/1333 MHz ddr3 ram. I have 2 2gb ram. They are dying so i have to replace them. But the problem is local stores don't sell 1066/1333 MHz ddr3 rams anymore. All they sale is 1600 Mhz ddr3. So my question is can i put 1600 Mhz ddr3 rams in my pc without changing motherboard or processor? Thanks

Solution
Yes, you can. The motherboard will underclock the RAM to match the highest frequency it supports. If for some reason it doesn't work, usually a bios update will fix it, but it's almost certain that it will work. However, I wouldn't recommend using them in combination with either of those 2GB sticks you already have, I'd suggest you get a single 8GB stick instead and remove the others.

CircuitDaemon

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
Yes, you can. The motherboard will underclock the RAM to match the highest frequency it supports. If for some reason it doesn't work, usually a bios update will fix it, but it's almost certain that it will work. However, I wouldn't recommend using them in combination with either of those 2GB sticks you already have, I'd suggest you get a single 8GB stick instead and remove the others.

Solution

Mike Tornado

Estimable
Sep 5, 2016

Thank you very much. I was really worried whether I had to change the whole motherboard and processor or not. Thanks for clearing it up.