Connect Bass Shakers to Onkyo Receiver

silasfelinus

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
I have a DIY Bass shaker setup that I currently have connected to my pc with a Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier. I built my setup using this build: (https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4flgkg/riftbass_shakersgaming_bliss_a_diy_guide_for/)

I just setup an Onkyo HT-S3700 5.1 receiver. I would love to connect the shakers to the receiver, so I can get the shaker effect when using my Xbox One, Wii, Playstation, etc. (my PC mirrors its audio out to the Onkyo as well).

The Onkyo has a +/- subwoofer out, but no other dedicated Sub Out that I'm aware of, and explicitly says not to connect "a subwoofer with built-in [sic] powered amplifier to the subwoofer terminals of this unit."

I'm presuming that the Dayton is not equivalent to a built-in powered amplifier, but even if not, can I split the +/- out to my Onkyo speakers and the Dayton?

kanewolf

Judicious
Are you already using the subwoofer that came with the Onkyo? If so then you can't use the shakers also. The 4ohms of the shakers is on the low end for that amp but I don't think it would damage it.

You could try using the Zone 2 out connected to your Dayton Amp. You may have to play with the menus to get zone 2 to mirror zone 1 (primary outputs). That output doesn't have a low pass filter so if you get too much high frequency audio, you may have to add a low pass filter.

silasfelinus

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016

Yes, I already am using the subwoofers, my hope was there would be some way to split and duplicate the signal

Sadly, the Onkyo doesn't seem to allow passing of audio received from hdmi cables to Zone 2, and that's a dealbreaker with my setup.

Thank you for replying!

kanewolf

Judicious

I don't see what load that presents to the amp. Since the OP already has the subwoofer connected, is putting this in parallel going to drop the effective load too low for the Onkyo ?