Connect Harman Kardon AV receiver to LG tv to DirecTv DVR using HDMI ARC

Eula1023

Commendable
May 31, 2016
[/b]Hello All. I'm seeking advice and instruction as to how best to set up my 5.1 home theatre/surround sound system. I have a Harman Kardon AV receiver, Harman Kardon speakers/powered sub-woofer, and an LG HDTV whose tv signal comes from DirecTv HD DVR, (genie).

The AVR has an hdmi ARC output, the tv has two hdmi inputs and the DVR has one hdmi output. How do I connect these three components specifically, so that I'll still get video image when the AVR is in stand-by mode? Thank you in advance for your help!

Solution
ARC won't work unless both the AVR & TV have it and it is turned on. Given that you only have two HDMI inputs I suspect your TV doesn't have ARC. No problem
Connect the DVR to the TV with HDMI. Connect the audio out of the TV (usually optical audio) to the receiver. When you want audio from the receiver turn it on and turn the TV volume down. Now use the ARV remote for volume.
ARC won't work unless both the AVR & TV have it and it is turned on. Given that you only have two HDMI inputs I suspect your TV doesn't have ARC. No problem
Connect the DVR to the TV with HDMI. Connect the audio out of the TV (usually optical audio) to the receiver. When you want audio from the receiver turn it on and turn the TV volume down. Now use the ARV remote for volume.

Solution