Solved! Connect passive subwoofers to older JVC receiver.

May 14, 2018
I want to connect 2 separate passive subwoofers to my older JVC receiver? I know I need an amplifier, just don't know what kind of amplifier I need, my subs are 2200 watt max 1100 RMS@ 4 ohms, 15 inch. I am making my own system and want to do it correctly. Any ideas?

Solution
You need a subwoofer amplifier...or two.

First of all...you don't want to use a regular amp as you will pass all the frequencies to the subs and you don't want to do this is it's not efficient and the subs aren't designed for this....which is why you should use a subwoofer amp.

Secondly....why I said "one or two" is ....you could get away with one amp that is rated for 8 ohms and wire the subs in series.....or keep them separate and use two amps at 4 ohms.

As far as wattage....MANY times speakers are WAY over rated as far as wattage.....so you may not want to use 1100 watts RMS if that is the case with your speakers.

1100 watts RMS is an awful lot of power
You need a subwoofer amplifier...or two.

First of all...you don't want to use a regular amp as you will pass all the frequencies to the subs and you don't want to do this is it's not efficient and the subs aren't designed for this....which is why you should use a subwoofer amp.

Secondly....why I said "one or two" is ....you could get away with one amp that is rated for 8 ohms and wire the subs in series.....or keep them separate and use two amps at 4 ohms.

As far as wattage....MANY times speakers are WAY over rated as far as wattage.....so you may not want to use 1100 watts RMS if that is the case with your speakers.

1100 watts RMS is an awful lot of power

Solution