Connect Sony Bravia to Onkyo reciever with Digital Optical?

MrMistermister

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
I have a Sony Bravia TV (KDL-40S2000) and an Onkyo AV Reciever (TX-SR600) that has a full surround sound system hooked up to it. I have a DVD player and a Wii U plugged into the TV, and the TV is connected to the receiver with an digital optical cable, but I can't seem to get any sound from our surround sound system no matter what I try. I tried looking for settings on the TV to change, settings on the receiver, settings on the Wii U, and all I get is static. The DVD player is connected to the TV with some composite cords, and the Wii U is connected to the TV with an HDMI cord that came with it.

My overall question, is there any way this can work, and if not then how can I make it work? I'm fine with having to buy new cables, I just don't know if it's because either the receiver is too old or I need a new receiver or what, I'm not sure how to make it work. If you need more details in order to answer this I can give them to you.

premjimp

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

your dvd is connected with composite cable
replace the composite with hdmi cable and connect it to tv
and all other systems like cable tv, game console connect with hdmi cables to tv (not connect with onkyo av)

connect optical audio out from your sony tv to onkyo av input (eg: TV/CD optical input)

check setup of the onkyo TV/CD input (it can assign HDMI ,OPTIAL1, OPTIAL2, etc)
assign OPTIAL1 to TV/CD input and plug optical audio cable input only to OPTIAL1 in the back side of the onkyo av

check sony tv sound setup and set it to
speakers - audio system
digital audio out - auto
and check other sound setup

any doubt call me +91 9605988654

MrMistermister

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

It's plugged into the "Optical Out" on my TV and in the "Optical Input" on the receiver.

On most surround receivers you have to select what connection on the rear is assigned to which input such as TV. There is usually an input set up menu to do this. Make sure that the optical out is turned on in the TV audio menu too. Check the owners manual. You might get a better result connecting the DVD and Wii to the receiver (both audio and video) and connect the video out of the receiver to the TV.

premjimp

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

your dvd is connected with composite cable
replace the composite with hdmi cable and connect it to tv
and all other systems like cable tv, game console connect with hdmi cables to tv (not connect with onkyo av)

connect optical audio out from your sony tv to onkyo av input (eg: TV/CD optical input)

check setup of the onkyo TV/CD input (it can assign HDMI ,OPTIAL1, OPTIAL2, etc)
assign OPTIAL1 to TV/CD input and plug optical audio cable input only to OPTIAL1 in the back side of the onkyo av

check sony tv sound setup and set it to
speakers - audio system
digital audio out - auto
and check other sound setup

any doubt call me +91 9605988654

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 2
H Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 1