Connecting my existing surround sound to a new DVD player

amfearnley

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
I am using a relatively new SONY DVD/amplifier internet box in another room and still wish to use the 6 3 ohm speakers that it came with. So the speakers have colour coded little sockets to input into what? Ideally I'd like a cheap DVD player but I think it needs to be an amplifier too? Basically does anyone know what the connectors are called and can they suggest a cheapish DVD player or even just an amplifier so that i can still use my Sony surround speakers?

Solution
You would need a DVD/Receiver from a home theater package that can handle 3 ohm speakers. They don't sell those without speakers.
Standard AV receivers don't have the amp built in for the sub and most can't handle 3 ohm speakers. No cheap solution there. Cheaper to get a new complete HTS.
The connectors on the speaker wire are usually proprietary two conductor ones. Not compatible with any other brand although they can be cut off.
You would need a DVD/Receiver from a home theater package that can handle 3 ohm speakers. They don't sell those without speakers.
Standard AV receivers don't have the amp built in for the sub and most can't handle 3 ohm speakers. No cheap solution there. Cheaper to get a new complete HTS.
The connectors on the speaker wire are usually proprietary two conductor ones. Not compatible with any other brand although they can be cut off.

Solution