Connecting red/black & blue/white speaker wires?

ryanlj1995

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
Okay so i have a speaker, it was taken from a panasonic system and has both red/black & blue/white speakers connected up to an input which you plug directly in the panasonic amp.

I have bought an amp which only has a black and red input. I cut the black/red and connected it up and only powers the woofer.

How could i connect the blue/white speaker wire to the red/black so it will power the sub, woofer and tweeter through my amps red/black input?

all help appreciated.

Solution
The woofer and the tweeter, assuming they have a built-in crossover, can be connected with one pair of wires (one channel only). You'll know this if there are only two terminals (or also if there are four and they are connected with metal plates). So the Sub will be on the left channel, and the speaker will be on the right channel for example.

Alternatively, does this subwoofer have a power cord? if so you can do a pass-through where the line-in also goes right back out to the speakers (the sub would have in and out on the back of it). this would allow you to have both channels available on the amp still for speakers

adamwinn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The woofer and the tweeter, assuming they have a built-in crossover, can be connected with one pair of wires (one channel only). You'll know this if there are only two terminals (or also if there are four and they are connected with metal plates). So the Sub will be on the left channel, and the speaker will be on the right channel for example.

Alternatively, does this subwoofer have a power cord? if so you can do a pass-through where the line-in also goes right back out to the speakers (the sub would have in and out on the back of it). this would allow you to have both channels available on the amp still for speakers

Solution
If the speakers came from a mini system, the woofer and tweeter are in a single cabinet, and each cabinet has four wires coming from it then the original system had separate amps for the woofers and tweeters. You would need to connect both positive wires from each cabinet to the red on the amp and both negatives to the black to one channel of the amp.
To determine the polarity is a little tricky. You can remove the speakers from the cabinet and check the markings where the wire connects to them.