Solved! Connecting soundbar to TV or Sat Receiver

Oct 19, 2018
My equipment:

- RCA HD TV (does not have optical input)
- Bell Sat Receiver (does have optical input)
- soundbar (only has RCA red/white cable & optical cable)

I tried connecting soundbar with RCA cables to TV audio in/out. No sound.

I tried connecting the soundbar with optical cable to Bell Sat receiver. No sound.

I am sure my problem lies in how the sound is setup on my TV and I tried playing around with different configurations but I still can’t figure out how to get the sound working. The TV manual leaves a lot to be desired in this regard.

Does anyone have a few tidbits of wisdom they could pass on?

Solution
If you *only* need sound from the Sat receiver, you could connect it to the soundbar via Toslink directly.
You'll probably have to configure the audio output on the receiver itself - it probably defaults to HDMI.

IF however, you have more devices connected to the TV and want the audio via the soundbar for everything (console, etc), then you'll need to connect the TV to the soundbar. At that point, you'll need to look into the settings for your TV to select audio out via whichever connection is used.

What TV and soundbar, specifically?
If you *only* need sound from the Sat receiver, you could connect it to the soundbar via Toslink directly.
You'll probably have to configure the audio output on the receiver itself - it probably defaults to HDMI.

IF however, you have more devices connected to the TV and want the audio via the soundbar for everything (console, etc), then you'll need to connect the TV to the soundbar. At that point, you'll need to look into the settings for your TV to select audio out via whichever connection is used.

What TV and soundbar, specifically?

Solution