Connection a Flat Digital Antenna to an older Stereo receiver

jdharp

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
I have an old (20 years) technics receiver. Works beautifully still. It's new enough to have surround sound plug ins and digital, LED readouts but doesn't have all the new digital inputs, etc. On the back where the FM receiver is to be attached, it has a screw nut of sorts where the wires coming from the FM antenna are to be screwed down to make the connection.
And now the question. First, would an amplified, flat ,digital antenna work as an FM antenna? I purchased one a while back and didn't use it for TV channels as planned. I was thinking if I could find some sort of adapter, with a flat 'Y' on the end that connects to the TV and a coaxial male plug on the other end it might at least connect to this antenna. Bottom line, however, is whether this antenna would work for FM stations even if I was able to complete that configuration (though it seems to be primarily for pulling in local TV stations).
Thanks for any help I can get. :)

Jim in Arizona

Solution
The digital aerial is designed to receive digital TV signals far, far away from the FM band. It MAY work ok, depending on what you are trying to pick up, and if the station you want has a strong signal, but you will not be able to optimise your reception without using a dedicated FM aerial. Likely result is fairly useless reception across the band. I do not know the frequencies that the TV service uses in Arizona, but the same will apply. This is all put in fairly simple terms, so i hope this helps. Long and short of this is, if you want the best possible reception, use a proper FM aerial, preferably outside or in your loft / attic / roof space.

K.
The digital aerial is designed to receive digital TV signals far, far away from the FM band. It MAY work ok, depending on what you are trying to pick up, and if the station you want has a strong signal, but you will not be able to optimise your reception without using a dedicated FM aerial. Likely result is fairly useless reception across the band. I do not know the frequencies that the TV service uses in Arizona, but the same will apply. This is all put in fairly simple terms, so i hope this helps. Long and short of this is, if you want the best possible reception, use a proper FM aerial, preferably outside or in your loft / attic / roof space.

K.

Solution