constant fps drops in all my games

PyroRaider

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
hello guys, so for the past few months, my performance on my laptop has been painfully slow.
i have a gtx 960m and an i7 6700hq, but i still lag on all of my games with HUGE fps drops, especially if i run my games on 1080p
my laptop runs at 80 degrees if i run my settings on super low and at 94 degrees on 1080p (wont matter since its unplayable)
what can i do? i tried cleaning my fans with a tissue and blowing on them (i opened my laptop)
i ran afterburner and i noticed my gpu1 usage went up and down constantly (20-60-19-58-25)
same with my power limit and memory usage and clock
i did notice my cpu goes up to 90 degrees on 720p, while my gpu goes up to 82 on 720p
cpu usage is also frantic af, going constantly up and down( i litteraly couldnt find a stable spot)
what can i do guys? please help

Solution
i'd go with jelison's answer, and use a can of compressed air rather than your mouth! :)

It sounds like it's overheating. A good clean (properly cleaned) may help.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

With blowing do you mean you used compressed air or a compressor?

PyroRaider

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
'

no oc and yes its a 6700 hq

PyroRaider

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

my mouth ahhahahaha

PyroRaider

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

Thanks, do you have nay tips so i dont f*** up my laptop while im cleaning ?(example: how to properly remove and plug in cables

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008

most internal cables, have clips that simply detach. Just be carefull while doing so, and try make a note of what cables go where.

With that said, your main aim here is to clean out fans. Thats where most of the dust/dirty bits will find themselves. Use the compressed air first, and get as much as you can out of the fan blades. If there is a particulary stubborn piece of dust, then use a cotton bud/swab to get off the hard bits. some people might advise to use rubbing alcohol on the swab. This may be effective to remove the stubborn dust, but you don't wanna be using a whole lot of it.

edit: also make sure the intake/exhaust ducts on the laptop chassis are clean, as this is where the dust is supposed to exhaust. They obviously need to be free of dust too.

this post might be helpful : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/233602-29-cleaning-case-fans-properly

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Do note that you need a heavy duty can of air (3 bar of pressure at least) since most cheap ones are just a gentle breeze and will not loosen the dust this is why I advice you to ask someone to be allowed to use a compressor since it will give you as much air as needed and the pressure can be regulated to your needs.