Cop Drives 126mph While Texting, Kills Teen Girls

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Mitchell was suspended with pay for two years on his $68,000 annual salary. After pleading guilty to criminal charges, Mitchell resigned from the state police. His guilty plea landed him 30 months probation.
this is a slap on the wrist, he should go to jail! this just pisses me off beyond belief.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
30 months probation? What?

@Marcus Yam: "a Illinois state trooper wasn't practicing any semblance" should be "an Illinois state trooper wasn't practicing any semblance."

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Wait, wait, wait...
For 2 years he doesn't have to go to work but he will still get paid?
PLUS he will get workers comp!!??

SIGN ME UP FOR THAT!!! I KNOW SOME PEOPLE I WOULDN'T MIND RUNNING OVER!

He should be in jail for vehicular manslaughter (2 counts) for several years, he should loose his job and he shouldn't be eligable for workers comp.

APPERENTLY THE LAW DOESN'T APPLY TO POLICE OFFICERS!!!!!!!

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
OMG!!! WTH!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

1. Suspended with pay! $68,000!!!
2. 30 months probation!!! YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!
3. WORKMANS COMP, is this a Fl@cking Joke???

The Justice system in this country is absolutly pathetic along with the entire government. We would all be better off without them!

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ryu750[/nom]I have never understood this. can somebody please explain this to me. If a person would have killed somebody accidentally they would be charged with manslaughter, fines and possible jail time. If a police officer kills somebody accidentally, they get two years vacation and $136,000?[/citation]
More then just 136k if his workers comp goes through... I have respect for police officers and what they do and all, but this guy should be in jail for manslaughter period, no time off no pay, no money just jail.

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Driving 126 MPH is one thing, but not looking at the road while going 126 is just stupid. He should have been fired, or suspended WITHOUT pay. Jail time would have been appropriate also.

I don't understand why people are let off so easily when they do stupid things.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
he should go to jail, not been REWARDED with 2 years PAID vacation...
and now he wants "workers compensation"?

he should pay back any and all money that he got from this 2 years
vacation to the families that he hurt, AND sent to jail for life!

areszues92

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Damn this guy. He just killed two innocent girls and hurt two others, and only receives 30 month probation??In my country he would have been sentenced to jail! Now he's even getting tax payers money!! Come on USA, tougher punishment to avoid further cases like this.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Wait, wait, wait...For 2 years he doesn't have to go to work but he will still get paid?PLUS he will get workers comp!!??SIGN ME UP FOR THAT!!! I KNOW SOME PEOPLE I WOULDN'T MIND RUNNING OVER!He should be in jail for vehicular manslaughter (2 counts) for several years, he should loose his job and he shouldn't be eligable for workers comp.APPERENTLY THE LAW DOESN'T APPLY TO POLICE OFFICERS!!!!!!![/citation]
Law doesn't apply to police officers. at least not traffic laws in my experience. I called to report and officer that ran me off the road speeding about 3 months ago. They told me he was probably on his way to an accident. He didn't have any lights on though. So then I noticed that every friday at 4pm he heads the same direction I do on my way home and speeds past me each time. So I started recording it. Come to find out he was just going home all of those times. I tried to contact the police about it again and they said it was none of my business.

Another time a woman threatened me and pulled a gun on me at walmart. I called the police and the found her. She denied pulling a gun from behind her seat and aiming at me. She said it was a cell phone. I told them it WAS a gun. They said there was a gun back there but it is her husband's gun and he is cop. They told me without real proof that there was no sense in even filing a police report. One cop pulled me aside and told me it was pointless because her husband is a cop.

I appreciate what police do but seriously they need to be kept in check as far as having to obey the laws like everyone else, and BS like this doesn't help.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Congratulations officer you just killed 2 girls and injured 2 others tell him what he has won!

First, you'll recieve 2 years of vacation time. Someone that doesn't screw up couldn't get that if they tried but you deserve it because you killed 2 girls and injured 2 others.
Second, you'll won $136,000 dollars. Most people have to work for there money but you kill 2 people so we are paying you for it.
Third, you'll get a slap on the wrist instead of several years in jail.
And lastly, you'll be able to file for worker comp enabling you to earn even MORE money!

Congratulations to our lucky winner!

Seriously though,
I hope the families sue and get more than his 2 years pay and workers comp. Then when he has no money I hope he is so overcome with guilt that he kills himself. But we all know he doesn't feel guilty, why? cause he filed for workers comp. As if the vacation time and $136,000 jackpot wasn't enough.

I hope he burns in hell.

processthis

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]I hope the guilt he lives with torments him until the day he dies. Pathetic.[/citation]
It can't be torturing him that bad. He is trying to get compensation...

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]dallaswits[/nom]He didnt get compensation.He was first suspended with pay while the court proceeding where ongoing.Then lost his job completely once he plead guilty.And i doubt he will recieve unemployment.However, if he had insurance at the time of the wreck, it should have covered his injuries, i dont see how the state owes him a thing.[/citation]

He did get compensation, for 2 years while the proceedings were ongoing, he didn't resign until this month when he finally pleaded guilty. And he could still get workman's comp because of the fact he was on duty responding to an accident call while he was driving and texting.

areszues92

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Law doesn't apply to police officers. at least not traffic laws in my experience. I called to report and officer that ran me off the road speeding about 3 months ago. They told me he was probably on his way to an accident. He didn't have any lights on though. So then I noticed that every friday at 4pm he heads the same direction I do on my way home and speeds past me each time. So I started recording it. Come to find out he was just going home all of those times. I tried to contact the police about it again and they said it was none of my business.

Another time a woman threatened me and pulled a gun on me at walmart. I called the police and the found her. She denied pulling a gun from behind her seat and aiming at me. She said it was a cell phone. I told them it WAS a gun. They said there was a gun back there but it is her husband's gun and he is cop. They told me without real proof that there was no sense in even filing a police report. One cop pulled me aside and told me it was pointless because her husband is a cop.

I appreciate what police do but seriously they need to be kept in check as far as having to obey the laws like everyone else, and BS like this doesn't help.

Holy Shit, thank God i my country doesn't allow freedom of buying guns without a permit.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]areszues92[/nom]Damn this guy. He just killed two innocent girls and hurt two others, and only receives 30 month probation??In my country he would have been sentenced to jail! Now he's even getting tax payers money!! Come on USA, tougher punishment to avoid further cases like this.[/citation]

Have you seen the U.S. government in action? The laws, in practice, exist to be manipulated by offenders and those who would break it. It has always been this way.
If the officer brings on too much public coverage where the force needs to "make an example of him," then they will do it. Else, don't count on much.

processthis

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]ct1615[/nom]this is what happens when you give high school drop outs guns and a badge![/citation]
The sad thing is that he's even a state trooper, not just a regular cop...there's supposed to be higher standards for state troopers...this whole thing is just so wrong in so many ways.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]areszues92[/nom]Holy Shit, thank God i my country doesn't allow freedom of buying guns without a permit.[/citation]

Grats on your lack of freedom!!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS