Cop Drives 126mph While Texting, Kills Teen Girls

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

so I text and kill and go straight to jail,and this guy gets $68,000 a year to "protect" us then still gets that and doesn't have to do anything for it after he kills us....

uhhhh something needs to be changed with that system

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]2real[/nom]We need to bring back Dirty Harry and have him kill all the corrupt cops like in Magnum Force.[/citation]

Why stop there? We can get rid of the jail system in one fell swoop and kill all the criminals too. Then our tax dollars wouldn't be wasted on locking up rapists and thieves. Not to mention murderers.

Humanity has become soft.

G

You guys aren't paying attention to how it works, or a lot aren't. The 2 years paid suspension is IF he hadn't been fired (resigned) and only if the case is still technically pending. That response is just the immediate first thing a police force does to an officer in question, so that he can no longer make mistakes, but if it's later proven he didn't do anything wrong, he wasn't out pay for that time while falsely accused. It is definitely NOT vacation time, as usually any paid suspension will essentially set back any raises he's due for 5 years, and any promotions, witholding major occurances, (massive drug bust, CP ring, etc.) for about that long as well, if not longer. Keep in mind, as soon as he plead guilty, he was forced out of the police force, and no longer received that pay.
I hope he does NOT get his worker's comp because that's for ACCIDENTS on the job, not "I drove my company car on the other side of the road cause I was texting"

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Regardless of what everyone thinks, this man does have a right to request and receive worker's compensation benefits. He is just like many other people that are hurt at work, whether their fault or not, yet all the other people that, through their own fault, are hurt, on the job, should receive benefits and this guy should not? Give me a break.

There is information that, predictably, was left out to pull at people's heart strings. Was the trooper responding to an accident with injuries(which most jurisdictions respond to with lights and sirens) or an accident with no recorded injuries? Was the trooper working a stretch that that only had one or two troopers and was he really far away? What were the exact conditions of the scene and the situation?

Should the trooper have been texting? No. Was the trooper just looking to kill a few teens and make the news? Well, that is pretty obvious. If any of you did what this idiot did, and got hurt, you would be expecting to get worker's compensation as well.

shovenose

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
that bullshit! he gets 2 yaers off (paid) and gets extra money.
maybe i should try that-oh wait i would get death sentence o.o
(and i dont have a car yet)

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]This is sad to the Nth degree. Cop should be in prison for life. Cell phone use and texting while driving should be as bad of an offense as DUI.[/citation]
Worse, because then you can't claim you were intoxicated. Not even a semblence of impaired judgment to help your plea for not-guilty.

Pathetic excuse for justice. Only in Illinois.

G

If it was my family member he killed, his life would end as well.

We expect justice, if the system will not deliver it, we must.

G

I call on all who wish to exterminate such people(takes some bravery/organization). We get intel/vigil and execution operative all normal people and destroy these kinds of people and take their worldly possestions. This cop would have netted a BP vest, law enforcement battle weaponary, prob a laptop with Gov. database money etc. And WTH are we trusting the court to issue such a desicion for...who is on my side PM me, plz I have lost loved ones as well

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]dallaswits[/nom]He didnt get compensation.He was first suspended with pay while the court proceeding where ongoing.Then lost his job completely once he plead guilty.And i doubt he will recieve unemployment.However, if he had insurance at the time of the wreck, it should have covered his injuries, i dont see how the state owes him a thing.[/citation]

The guy was suspended. He was speeding first of all, in fact probably well over 20 MPH over the limit which means instant arrest, then he was texting while driving in a state that its illegal in. Lets also add to that that he hopped the curb and slammed into the other car.

If it was a civilian it would be open and shut case with many years in jail for involuntary manslaughter with an instant loss of your job and no pay.

I think the fact that they gave the guy pay and he didn't even go to jail for it is just wrong. It makes me sick too that he thinks he even desrves any workmans comp. It was his own fault.

ranger82

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
[citation][nom]Spazzy[/nom]Probation?!?!?!?! He should be jailed....its as bad as driving while intoxicated......[/citation]
You'd think, but cops are frequently guilty of DUIs except that they have an unspoken rule where they will "help a brother out" so long as they don't have a trainee with them. You could spend more time in jail for leaving your pet in the car on a summer day than for killing someone's child because you are a drinking retard.

ranger82

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Texting and driving is hard enough. Going 126 MPH and texting is plain idiotic. I had the pleasure of living in Germany and loved the autobahn, especially in the rural parts of Bavaria. Whenever I got above 110, I'd politely tell my passengers that I will no longer talk to them and please don't talk to me because I won't be paying attention. Both my hands were on the wheel and 100% concentration on the road. At 126, let alone any faster, reacting isn't enough, you have to take in everything in front of you and anticipate, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.