Cop Drives 126mph While Texting, Kills Teen Girls

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Kill some people doing something incredibly idiotic - get early retirement with pay. Burn a koran on tv, get fired immediately by NJ transit. Makes sense...

I hope those girls' families sue the hell out of this cop for any income he has for the rest of his life.

G

30 months probation for killing 2 people ?? Please tell me this is a joke. Even if he was responding to call, which I hope he was going 126. Crossing the median and going head on, this is easily manslaughter. If this wasn't a Police officer, they would be headed to jail. If this was a drunken driver, they could be looking at a long long time if not life in jail as drinking and driving shows poor judgment. Is texting while driving not showing just as bad judgment, if not worse because your going 126 mph ??

G

The Police these days are nothing but glorified tax collectors. Handing out tickets while while they sit on their ass. How many days does an officer really do "Police" work. IMO EMT's do more for the community then the Police and they get paid next to nothing.

G

If I had been the parent in that situation and I was in any way conscious I would have gone over, took his gun, and finished him off, and request a jury trial. Whatever punishment I'd get would be peanuts compare to the loss I just had. At least this bastard would no longer be alive.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
So, He does something that somebody else would be in prison for and he gets 2 years paid vacation?>

That's what paid leave is... paid vacation... $68,000 per year for 2 years, so basically he was rewarded for killing these girls.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
To everyone saying that texting and driving is as bad as drinking and driving is wrong.

Its worse. That officer was retarded enough to be so damn irresponsible when the stone sober! Least when your drunk your cognitive skills and such are affected which explains the choices. Meanwhile sgt doofy there has no such excuse.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]OK, I live in the St. Louis, MO area where this is local news. Did the incident occur? Yes. However, there is way more to this story than reported here. The bottom line is that he has asked for worker's comp, but that does not mean he will get it.Also, the suspension with pay occured after the accident in 2007 and while the investigation took place. You guys are seeing all of the after the fact info so it does look very skewed to the casual observer.This was a tragedy for the girls' family and the local community and is a lesson to us all about texting/talking while driving.[/citation]

Reading the info on this is just signs of news sensationalism. Sure this is nasty, a tragedy, He's very likely fully at fault, but there are specific facts that are omitted to generate more traffic because "OMG! COP TEXTS INTO TEENS TO DEATH!" generates more traffic than something that actually gives more facts about the case.

1. The government doesn't handle the police force or its policies. That is negotiated between the State (State troopers) and the policeman's unions. Obama didn't pay cops to run over teens, sorry.

2. HE says he stopped texting before the chase. Weither that is true or not, I don't know. But that would punch a few holes in the "texting while driving" sensationalism around the case.

3. Probation with pay is standard operating procedure when a policeman is under scrutiny for something that happens. They don't punish the officer ahead of time without any investigation or proof. Again, this is probably negotiated with the policeman's union.

4. I'm pretty sure once fired, a policeman loses any "probation pay" not paid out yet. Its not "you're fired for running over teenagers!.. here's your severance package, 2 years pay, pick up your Worker's comp at the door." Again, the whole innocent until proven guilty thing.

I hate the really bad cops as much as the next guy, I'm sick of how they go after innocents for tiny foibles, purposefully create criminals to increase arrest numbers and increase revenue, focus on drugs so vehemently tossing a casual user of pot in with hard criminals when the real crimes gets a "eh...". Most i run into are a bunch of power tripping frat boys who are looking for you to say something wrong so they can write you a ticket or something.

But I would rather see the true facts in a case than a big sensationalist story about a policeman who regularly careens drunk in a squad car at 200mph across school parade grounds while texting his two girlfriends and wife.

People need to stop, think, and do a little looking before accepting what they read or think they read in a news story.

Thanks Toms, for increasing your traffic while tossing out any semblance of journalistic integrity. The way the story is worded is designed to do just that.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
why the hell was he driving 126mph. If texting his GF that leads me to believe he was not in hot pursuit of a criminal but just abusing his power as well.

leafman420

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
What's news here? I see this same story every where, cops brake laws, gets slap on wrist, and we have to pay him. There was a sheriff here where I live, ran a stop sign killed a whole family, and he still works as a sheriff. So I don't see what we can do. Cops protect cops that the way it is.

cbviking

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
This story is just disgusting...WTH could that cop be possibly be txting or emailing that was so freaking important that he couldn't pull over to the side of the road or something and do it quick?

The sad thing is that the cop probably won't even go to jail. probably get half the charages dropped and only get probation. I certainly hope not though...They should throw the book at him, Throw him in jail and when he gets out never let him drive again!

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]delazaren[/nom]anybody else would have gone to jail for decades.[/citation]

Should be the case, but actually tends not to happen

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Using a cellphone while driving should have the same consequences as if the person were drunk. Because the income is the same, they end up not paying attention to the freaking road and killing someone.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Wait, why isn't he in prison for 25 years or something like that? Also, interstates aren't dual carriageways? how did he end up in oncoming traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.