Cop Drives 126mph While Texting, Kills Teen Girls

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
According to at least one study, texting and driving does not make people worse drivers than they otherwise would be:

http://jalopnik.com/5644967/texting-and-driving-may-not-lead-to-more-crashes

The study basically says that 'distractions' make people bad drivers and that if they weren't texting they'd be doing something else instead. The study shows that crash rates over the last couple of decades have gone consistently down. Also, when comparing rates before and after banning texting / talking on phones while driving, the rates are unchanged. People just moved on to other distractions.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
what's up with our judicial system? 2 years suspesion for 68k a year? wtf? i bet he was white...i am not racist, but if he was a black person he would have been shit out of luck.

skervy

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
what a joke 2 and a half years of probation and 128 grand over 2 years for killing 2 people. every penny he gets and has should of been to the family :/

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Only a cop can be guilty of negligent manslaughter, and get paid more than most of us while barely serving time. Why don't the parents sue him into a cardboard box???

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
So these cops are the ones who should enforce the law, and they go around violating them. What a way to set an example for citizens.

thebman

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
You have to freaking kidding me. This dude was hired to serve and protect, not kill and mane. If it would have been John Que public his backside would have been thrown in Jail!!!! Let this "poor" dude suffer like the victim's families have......

G

This just shows how corrupt the (NON)-justice system works. A cop can break the law, kill two innocent teens, get paid while suspended awaiting trial, only get 30 months probation, and not even admit he did wrong. This is why no one should trust the police, the judiciary, politicians, lawyers, or anything having to do with government.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
isnt 68.000 a year a lot for a cop...even if its gross thats what 4k a month....u dt need to be dedicated when u gettin 4k a month

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Mitchell was suspended with pay for two years on his $68,000 annual salary. After pleading guilty to criminal charges, Mitchell resigned from the state police. His guilty plea landed him 30 months probation.

Now Mitchell is filing for worker's compensation, which could result in him receiving tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars, which are non-taxable.

So, he kills two girls, injures two more and gets away with a slap on the wrist just because he is a cop?

I really really hope he loses his leg, gets infected and have to endure the pain and suffering for the rest of his miserable, petty life.

What a shameless S.O.B.!

iboomer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
That is what his Union is for, to keep him in the money for f*$%ing up. 126 mph? He was breaking the law just by doing this, unless he was on his way to a scene. Texting while driving stupid. Texting while driving 126 mph, ignorant.

Workman's comp? You must be joking right? You got two years off with pay, and in that time you didn't recooperate your leg? 30 months probation?

OMFG, if I was pulled over by a police officer, and for one reason or another, I decide to spit at his feet, I go up on charges for attempted murder, not manslaughter, murder. If I had been doing 126 mph in my car when he pulled me over, I believe that is a felony in my state. Then the charge goes from attempted murder to attempted Capital Murder because I did it while committing a felony. I go to jail for 25 years minimum, and this loser gets off with 30 months? For killing 2 people?

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Make me so angry. Go justice system!
I would have given him 20 year prison or even life.
You took 2 lives, you realize that Matt?

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Has he no shame? Personally I wouldn't be able to live with myself after this. I would go to jail just as some form of repentance.

Now I'm all for love and peace but there seriously needs to be some justice here. If something like this gets passed through the courts I might as well move somewhere else. Or just quit paying taxes.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]Geeze, government employee's get it all "2yrs with pay" and "worker's compensation" I guess killing people pays in the eyes of the government ...[/citation]

Quite true...in the mean time civilians get the same sentence as murder of first degree.

FlynnSerlant

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
A quote from the linked news article:

"I wouldn't have filed the case if I thought it was frivolous or didn't have merit," said Kerri O'Sullivan, of the St. Louis firm of Brown and Crouppen, who represents Mitchell. "People get hurt at work all the time. It's our job as lawyers to help people with the difficult and complicated administrative process of worker's compensation."

I interpreted it as this:

"I wouldn't have filed the case if I or my client had a soul," said Kerri O'Sullivan, of the St. Louis firm of Brown and Crouppen, who represents Mitchell. "People engage in unreasonable and dangerous behavior outside of the scope of their job all the time. Such uncalled for and unreasonable activity is incredibly stupid, and often times the idiots hurt themselves in the process. It's our job as lawyers to help these asshats blame their employers for their jassassery, and secure money for both of us that neither of us deserve."

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
What an idiot. And the police wonder why "civilians" have a problem with them all the time. Leadership by example. I can't stand how officers get into this mentality that they aren't civilians when in fact they are as public servants. Only the military reserves the right to consider non-military as "civilians" which includes cops in the same category. This ego that eventually an officer "becomes" the law is embarrassing, sick, and disturbing of a progressive first world nation who basis its actions off Freedom and Liberty.

trekker9876

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
typical legal system.. cop kills 2 people, get probabtion.. teenager kills bicylist get 3 years jail.. a woman kills another and gets life... go fig.

Status
Not open for further replies.