Solved! Copy of a 8mm video cassette tape using two Sony TRV250 Handycams

Dec 31, 2018
Is it possible to connect two Sony TRV250 Handycams and dub a copy of an original 8mm video cassette tape to a new 8mm video cassette tape. Or does anyone have a suggestion how to make a copy of a 8mm video cassette tape?

I used to do this with to old audio cassette tape player by connecting two of them together, and make copies of an original tape.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
I would recommend you download the video to a PC via either the USB or DV port. Then make it available electronically. There are web articles on copying video from a Sony Handycam to PC.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Something like this, and copy it to a PC or laptop:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WSAWZ1M/?coliid=I1V54BX3DKBAVS

kanewolf

Judicious

According to the documents, that camcorder has USB output. No capture hardware required.

Dec 31, 2018
Thanks for your reply.

Actually, here is my dilemma. I'm a fastpitch softball pitching instructor. For the past 15 years, I've used the same 8mm video cassette tape literally hundreds of times to record new pitchers. On this same tape, I have recorded some of my most accomplished pitchers showing their pitching deliveries.

After recording a new pitcher when she comes to me for the first time, then I connect the Sony Handycam to a large screen television so that I can do a video analysis of her pitching delivery for she, and her parents. At this point, I show them the footage of some of my pitchers who over the years have achieved success while working at our facility, and explain to them what we need to work on to possibly achieve the same success.

My problem, is the 8mm video cassette tape I've been using for years is getting old and very worn. I would like a back up copy in the event it malfunctions, or is possibly stolen, then I would have another copy to continue to use in my Sony TRV250 Handycam. I have multiple Sony 250TVR Handycams and was not sure if it is possible to connect two of them together, to make a copy of my old tape.

As that ^ once you have it in digital format on a computer, it's as easy to make a backup as doing a Copy on the file. You can also edit it to cut out the pitching parts into before/after for each player. Tape aside from getting worn out is also linear, you want to go from Amy pitching to Sarah? Rewind tape, fast forward tape. On a computer, click, and you are there. No wear on tape, no risk to it getting eaten by the camera heads and mechanism. Make as many backups as you like to USB drives, cloud storage, etc...

USAFRet

Illustrious
Progress over time, for each player.
Tape is fine for on the field capture. But if you want to compare Sarah as she is today, to Sarah as she was 2 months ago...

Offload that to PC/laptop, and you can do anything.
SloMo of a particular windup, frame by frame where the left foot is (or should be), etc, etc.

And the obvious...backups on a PC are trivially easy. And strongly recommended.

Dec 31, 2018
Thanks for the great ideas. I'm so old fashion that it's difficult to put the camcorder down and opt for other ways to record a new pitchers delivery. Just wondered if I could make a copy of the tape I've been using, so that I could have an backup as I continue to use my Sony camcorder. I'm so comfortable recording with it that's it difficult to make the change. Besides that, as many of you can tell, I'm not a very high tech guy...lol!