Corrupt SD card - Can't open JPG-MP4 files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2018
Hi guys,

I really hope you can help me through this:

I use a 16gb micro sd on my HTC to save my photos and videos. Recently, while taking video, a short message saying "Video stoppet due to error" and the corrupt SD notification started to pop until my phone didn't recognize the SD card anymore.

I tried to recover the files on my laptop, luckily all the photos and videos are still there (File, size and format are correct) but I can't open any file. I tried using google drive, another phone and different video apps but they won't open. I also try with some "recovery" and "repair" apps like ashampoo and Stellar but the files won't be showed as corrupted, the programs just seems to ignore them..

Is there any way to repair the files? Is this a common issue? This is the first time that an SD card swipes my info and I'm kinda stressed because this happened while I was at a music festival, so I'm trying really hard to recover my photos!

I would really appreciate your help!

Solution
Something you 'might' want to try is to convert the files to a different format. I know it seems like you shouldn't have to but stranger things have happened. You can try getting yourself a program like say Format Factory as an example. Then through the program, convert the files over to a different format. Just make sure it isn't a format that would downgrade the data. So like for images, don't go to GIF or something. Stick with PNG or BMP etc. The converted files can be saved to a different folder so they don't over right the originals. Then you can actually open those and convert them back to the format you want them in. I have had this happen before and it was an odd but helpful fix. Just make sure the files are on the computer...
If they needed 'repairing' then they would have errors, other than not being able to open them. However, if they are locked or encoded, then they would be unopenable. Have you tried moving the files to the computer and seeing if you can open them on there? Rather than just trying to open them while they are still on the SD card?

Apr 9, 2018

Yes, and still got the same error :/ I have another folder with some old photos and they seem to be ok, 100MEDIA (HTC camera folder) is the only folder that is corrupted

Apr 9, 2018

It didn't work :/ the files showed as they are (format, size, etc) but the same thing is happening: Files won't open. It's so frustrating!! Black screen is the only thing I see when I try to open a JPG file and when I try to open a mp4 file, error 0xc00d36c4 shows up.

Something you 'might' want to try is to convert the files to a different format. I know it seems like you shouldn't have to but stranger things have happened. You can try getting yourself a program like say Format Factory as an example. Then through the program, convert the files over to a different format. Just make sure it isn't a format that would downgrade the data. So like for images, don't go to GIF or something. Stick with PNG or BMP etc. The converted files can be saved to a different folder so they don't over right the originals. Then you can actually open those and convert them back to the format you want them in. I have had this happen before and it was an odd but helpful fix. Just make sure the files are on the computer rather than the card when you do this ans the program runs on a computer.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.