Courts Order Seizure of PS3 Hacker's Computers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spockbr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Oh Boy.
United State of America. What's up doc?
You have Guantanamo, and now George Holtz.
More and more less hope.
Is the United States of America a real democracy? I want to believe, but it's hard.

gnice3d

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Judgee Susan Illston is one crooked wise and beautiful woman.

Geohot did NOTHING illegal.

Is the government going to come kick down my door and take my penis away because I fucking rubbed one out, which is outside what some would consider it's intended use?

What governments and corporations cannot get on their own, they STEAL.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
A US Court should not be able to order the seizure of anyone's property unless there are laws broken by the defendant. Last I checked, Sony is suing this man over a civil matter, which they have every right to do.

Look at it this way: Has Judge Judy ever ordered the seizure of anyone's property for evidence?

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Fadekyn[/nom]Haha, this is actually kind of funny. Jurisdiction hasn't even been established in this case yet has it? So in essence, isn't this a hollow judgement not applicable to the state of New Jersey residents? Why do I think no computers are going to be handed over.[/citation]

I'm no lawyer, although I had the same thought. If the judgment in CA goes to the federal level, then it crosses state boundaries. My understanding is that a judgment with any teeth in it must occur in the state where entity it is against is present, and can be held against.

All this guy needs to do is never go to CA (or get caught there). Otherwise, CA would have to import him.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]spockbr[/nom]Oh Boy.United State of America. What's up doc?You have Guantanamo, and now George Holtz.More and more less hope.Is the United States of America a real democracy? I want to believe, but it's hard.[/citation]

The United States is a republic.
(Although I know what you are trying to say. Taxes (redistribution of wealth) and corporations in control...) That is where we are headed, and, unfortunately, I think that only way to stop it is to destroy the existing regime (U.S. Government) and start over.

Pacman366

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
[citation][nom]nekoangel[/nom]So many are obviously ignorant as to the kinds of evils that was unleashed. Many multiplayer games are now easily hacked that affects legitimate users. The only reason sony made their system so locked down, including that of linux was because of the damage hackers could do against the rest of the community, it wasnt just lost profits from pirated games, it was the hacking of legitimate services. Microsoft gets away with such because they get to lock you out of the paid online network for hacking, Sony on the other hand offers a free online network. Sony is really only at fault for relying on the PS3s security to protect other users.[/citation]

Its Sony's fault for not banning the hacked ps3 serials to start with. They were aware of ps3 hacking since the jail break dongles, why hurt publishers and users by not enforcing a ban policy of hacked ps3 serials as Microsoft does for jtaged xboxes? Do they even care?

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
If I was him, I would have my lawyers start looking at the recently changed laws that allow people to jailbreak/root their phones. This is basically the same situation with a console. If they can show parallels in court they might be able to say he was doing the same thing.

Also, as to the court demanding he hand over all his computers ... uh last I checked software can be moved around pretty easily. He copies the stuff to a USB drive and then borrows a laptop from a friend ... back in business. Also, he could just leak all his materials to the internet right now and it would be available to the world, once out Sony could never get rid of it.

Pacman366

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Geos lawyer needs to file for an appeal. Susan Illston has no jurisdiction in the state of NJ, where the "crimes" were committed. The accomplice "Bushing", whos said to reside some place in CA by sony, has yet to be identified or located. Something about this ruling seems shady or unjust atleast.

Some slightly interesting information regarding the judge in this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Illston

Refer to the matter of 321 Studios vs Metro Goldwyn Mayer Studios. This case could go either way if the cards are played right.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]fracture[/nom]So they should go after the military for buying hundreds of PS3's and hacking them to use as killing tools. Talk about video game violence.Yes, one has to be [/citation]

Shh..we don't want to upset a business interest, do we? Think of all those suffering profit margins.

Mate, your post was the Chuck Norris of posts.

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
The biggest problem with this whole thing is not the piracy issue (though it's still there), it is being able to install your own software that the system will recognize at legit. Yeah, this will allow you to run Linux again, but again the issue is bigger. It allows you to create your own updates. There are already mods available that let's you unlock all of the trophies in a game, as well as granting you invulnerability and unlimited ammo for games online. This "hack" is disruptive to the entire online experience if it takes off. Sony is like any other company in trying to make money (what company doesn't?), and this can really hurt that. It would be closer to a hack for a cell phone that allows you unlimited calls or internet without paying for it. Or imagine if a hack came out for a car, say a Honda Accord, that allowed it to get 300mpg. Sure it would great for the owner, but how would the other car companies feel about it if it didn't work on theirs or even the oil companies. Like I said, this is much bigger than just piracy.

Pacman366

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
[citation][nom]decrypted[/nom]The biggest problem with this whole thing is not the piracy issue (though it's still there), it is being able to install your own software that the system will recognize at legit. Yeah, this will allow you to run Linux again, but again the issue is bigger. It allows you to create your own updates. There are already mods available that let's you unlock all of the trophies in a game, as well as granting you invulnerability and unlimited ammo for games online. This "hack" is disruptive to the entire online experience if it takes off. Sony is like any other company in trying to make money (what company doesn't?), and this can really hurt that. It would be closer to a hack for a cell phone that allows you unlimited calls or internet without paying for it. Or imagine if a hack came out for a car, say a Honda Accord, that allowed it to get 300mpg. Sure it would great for the owner, but how would the other car companies feel about it if it didn't work on theirs or even the oil companies. Like I said, this is much bigger than just piracy.[/citation]

The hack will NOT hinder PSN as long as sony bans PS3 serials using geohots npdrm keys, or ps3s running unsigned code. the ps3 logs the dlc you run , and when you sign into psn this log is sent to sony, it can be such an easy fix that could save there gaming network, why they have not employed a console banning policy is beyond (below) me. Sony needs to stop thinking with there lawyers and start thinking with there developers.

rikstaker

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Assholes..if you really want the other os feature, why not use a fucking computer for all that nonsense? why hack a game system. It is a game system meant to play games primarily so play it. I wouldn't monkey around and hack my electric shaver to blend my protien shake, If I wanted a blender I would get a fucking blender. My electric shaver was supposed to trim my hair, it wasnt supposed to blend my protein shake.

besides..hackser such as geohotz need publicity thats all, and he doesnt gives a rats ass about opening the floodgates for piracy. Its reasons such as these studios that create games face a hard time. It wont matetr to the power houses like sony or microsoft, its always the littleguys, the programmers the small developers that suffer due to such attention hungry tech-whores.

eleclerc

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
If you cant change part in the PS3because it's called hack, FORD was hacking GM motors when he tried to improve the motors.

G

To sirgcal the fire hazard has nothing to do with fire hazards, infact more fires are started by exhausts with cats because in order for catalytic converter to work it must get hot, plus the bulging of the cat allows for something for the grass to catch on and as its hot(so it can work) it catches on fire, a catalytic converter was invented to reduce hydrocarbon emmission, it transforms hydrocarbons into CO2, in hindsite with global warming that was not a very good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.