cpu and gpu reaches 90+ celcius

Alex4866

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
hey all, I am new to this forum, but I need some help/advice.

I have a laptop from "MM-vision", it is "custom" build meaning I chose from a list what I wanted in it. I bought it mainly for gaming because someone recommended these. I run it dual-screen with an Asus 1920x1080 res, 22" monitor.

I have a 2.5ghz intel core i7 processor and a Nvidia GeForce 860M graphics card.

Just running my browser, my cpu is between 55c - 60c my graphics card is at 50c.

when gaming however the temp spikes to 90+ on my cpu and at least 80+ on my gpu.
I just checked it with speccy, even when I am just on the Smite login screen the cpu slowly rises to the 90+ degrees.

Disabling the 2nd monitor drops the temp a mere 2 or so degrees when idle.

Any suggestions? Kinda feeling like I have no other options than being an ass and selling it to some poor schmuck and upgrading my desktop pc.

Ambyjkl

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
Unfortunately, the laptop may not have been built properly with proper cooling systems in place. Try contacting the guys who built it for you and ask them to do something about the fans. If it was an OEM laptop then it could have been regarded as a manufacturing defect but since it you mention that it is custom built then there lies the problem. For temporary cures you can try ice packs (they really work) and elevated laptop stands that ensure that there is enough room for cooling.

Alex4866

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
I could try to contact them and I do have 1 free service, but I would rather use that with hardware failure rather than someone tweaking the fans a bit.
When I first got it I quickly discovered that it would overheat like it does now if I didn't elevate it. I have the laptop elevated pretty high so room should not be much of a problem. Where would I place the ice pack so that it cools down the hardware?

Isn't there some fan control software I could use to speed up the fans a bit?

Ambyjkl

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
I dunno about your laptop but when my phone gets overheated after gaming, i just put an ice cube on it and then the temperature drops drastically ;). You can just put it near where the processor is and as long as you ensure no water creeps into the laptop then everything will be cool :p. But try contacting those folks who built it for you, there is some serious problem. It could be possible that the heatsink is loose or the thermal conpound is of inferior quality. And as far as that fan control software I suspect it will hardly decrease the temperature a few degrees. Your laptop really needs a surgery mate.