CPU Heat question on this specific laptop, normal?

Mayonnaisu

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Hello!

I recently bought a new laptop for gaming, the ASUS FX503VM-DM042T 15.6 GTX 1060:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0765CBZZJ/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

My question is about the heat levels. I tried playing Tera and the temp easily goes up to ~87 on the CPU. And im not even on high settings (actually had to lower quite a bit, because of bit of lag and high temps) I also decreased CPU use to 65%, seems to decrease a little only im mostly around 81-83 it seems but i still spiked up to 89)
So i went into a dungeon and max temp spiked to 93 on some cores.
Are these temperatures normal? It feels very high. At one point Core temp showed 89 celcius on 1 of the cores. This feels quite insane.
This was tested on a metallic something table though.

I think idle temp is around 45 degrees.

Am i doing anything wrong? Is ther anything wrong on the laptop? Or is it not able to handle that much?

Solution

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Yes its high. Anything above 85c is something to be concerned about. idle is also high, normally I see machines around the 35c range on idle but that can change depending on the area and device you are using.

Check to see if you can find any fans not working properly and clean out the dust from the laptop with compressed air.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017

Yes that is max allowed temps for the dye. Higher temps do not help the life span of the CPU as a whole. AKA above 85c is cause for concern.

Many users on average lower temps while under load on this system, per google.

And also here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3436516/normal-operating-temps.html

While idle temps appear proper for this unit. His under load temps are above average.

Mayonnaisu

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Oh... this is so weird. Ive only used this laptop about 5-6 times, as its very new. Could dust really be the issue?
I dont see how this can happen. How do i see if any fans are not working properly? Im quite bad at these things.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017

Could be fans. Or simply something with that specific laptop running hotter then normal.

Can you try to download HWMonitor and post screenshots of your temps out and under load?

Honestly you are still under even the 85w and as rdg mentioned it can go to 100c before thermal throttling.

So in theory you are in "acceptable" temp ranges but from what I see online from others, it seems a bit higher then normal.

Mayonnaisu

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Yes it seems high compared to other answers on google searches, so was wo dering if that was normal for that laptop, still im afraid innlong term that itll get damaged >_<
I will try HWMonitor tomorrow and post in idle and under load, juat went to bed hehe.
Should i do this with normal 100% cpu capacity in battery settings? Or keep the decreased that i set?

Mayonnaisu

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014

Okies, so the left one is idle, had my laptop on for about 5mins.
Right one is about 15-20mins into FFXIV and settings were automatically on High. Although this might not be on heavy load, its basically in a busy city. I had nobody to go on a raid with. Temperatures seems a lot better on FFXIV.
(Tera is on maintenance so i can post it later on) Will try in busy place too after.

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/u0KtwiI
Here is a screenshot of temps in Tera: https://imgur.com/a/euhNSRI

It seems like temps calmed down a little after decreasing CPU power to 48%. But still it can get up to quite high >_<.
What do you think?

--------
Edit. So i changed power plan. I used a custom one before. But i changed to Balanced plan and the CPU max power to 60%. Temperature now seems to be around 60-70. And i changed the settings in game to higher
I dont really understand how it made such a difference? o.o

Mayonnaisu

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014

Yeah i thought about it, but it could be really clumsy to bring on trips.
It seems like changing power plan to balanced worked quite well. I changed the cpu power limit to 75% and Tera is still on quite high settings and temperatures maxed at 74C, otherwise it seems to be around 63-67 and that feels a lot better.
Could different power plans really do that much of a difference? What exactly does high performance plan do?

Thanks again :)

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017

Yes. Changing power plans can easily do that. High Performance means it will forgo all power saving and provide max power to components so they can work faster.

So when moving it to balanced mode it provide less power to CPU so it may not go into tubro mode or if it does, it will clock at lower speeds to save power.

So while this might work, just remember that components like CPU may not be working at max. Just incase you notice low performance in games, you will know why.

However, most systems even in balanced mode will automatically adjust CPU to provide as much power as needed to run said application. So you may not notice a difference.

Solution