CPU temperature 50C after replacing thermal paste multiple times

techetga

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014
I bought a used laptop (Medion Erazer X6821). When I received and booted it up I heard the fan nearly the whole time. I blew all the dust out and replaced the thermal paste. After booting up the laptop again I noticed the temps were higher and the noisy fan was blowing all the time. I tried replacing the thermal paste multiple times but I were not able to lower the temps significantly.

These are the specs of the laptop:
Medion Erazer
Intel i7-3610QM
Nvidia GTX670M
8GB RAM
128gb SSD and 750gb HDD

The temperature varies from 39C to 50C at idle.
When running Prime95 the temperatures vary from 83C to 90C
I am able to hear the fan spinning at about 40C.

Does anyone know how I can lower the idle temps under 40C?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Your laptop appears to be a rebadged MSI GT60 (same chassis). The GT60 is known to run warm. Part of the problem is the use of one fan for both CPU and GPU. My GT70 (the 17.3" version of the GT60) runs @ about the same temps as yours (minus a degree or 3).

You could try using a cooling pad, and also make sure to use the best thermal paste possible.
Your laptop appears to be a rebadged MSI GT60 (same chassis). The GT60 is known to run warm. Part of the problem is the use of one fan for both CPU and GPU. My GT70 (the 17.3" version of the GT60) runs @ about the same temps as yours (minus a degree or 3).

You could try using a cooling pad, and also make sure to use the best thermal paste possible.

Solution
1shado1 nailed it about the design. The GT60 runs a little hot due to the cooling system design.

Which thermal compound did you use?

And FYI - your temps are within reason. 35 C - 45 C is common in similar laptops during idle, and low to high 80s C is common during stress. Going over 90 C is a little worrisome, although the laptop will throttle in the low 90s to reduce temps.

techetga

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014
I am using Arctic Silver 5, is there another thermal paste that could decrease the temperature more? The biggest pain is the fan. It's super noisy when the CPU hits the 40C. Can I replace this fan with a quieter one?

Aso, is it normal that the temps jump between 37C and 45C very fast?

techetga

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014
The CPU is vertical, so I drew a thin line. I am quite sure I applied it correctly. Found a possible solution to the high fan speed. Thanks anyway. http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/4185-fan-control.html This is intended for the MSI GT series but thanks to 1shado1 I know the same motherboard is used. I am gonna try this when Windows update is done installing.

Update: This worked for me! Fan is now superquiet. I am gonna use this till I got a new fan and/or a cooling pad.
Thanks for your help!!!

Probably gonna run a little warmer if the fan isn't spinning as fast. Glad you got it quieted down. Newer GT60 and 70 models actually have a turbo button to increase fan speed under load. Sounds like a jet airplane trying to take off when I engage mine, LOL...

The CPU is vertical? Not in mine. Or the GT60 from photos I've seen of the innards.

techetga

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014

I mean normal CPUs are square, you need a small drop. i7-3610QM are rectangular, you need to draw a line or the thermal paste is not spread equally.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification! :)

Right, the IHS on the CPU is rectangular.

Arctic Silver 5 is good, but keep in mind that it has a cure time. You may see your temps drop after several hours of use, once the compound has had time to "set in." The best compounds you can get are Coollaboratory Liquid Pro or Liquid Ultra (be careful with these, as they're conductive), Gelid GC Extreme, or Innovation Cooling Diamond compound. The Gelid and ICD compounds are nearly as good as the two Coollaboratory ones, and they're non-conductive.