CPU Upgrade for my notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParaPara

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Hello. I have a notebook model --Sony Vaio VPCB4X8E-- and I am looking for a CPU upgrade as sometimes it feels lazy with a "few" processes run at one time.
Hopefully I compiled all the important data to make it easy for you :p

At the moment it has
Windows 7 64
Intel i5 480M processor
SSD
8 GB RAM
The MB is Intel Ibex-Peak-M HM55

What would be a NOTICEABLE cpu upgrade?
I can't find a list with supported CPUs for this motherboard :(

Solution

I recommend sticking with your i5. ;) Compatible i7 models may get you quad core, but their base clock frequencies are considerably lower (but their turbo is comparable). In my humble opinion, it's not worth the cost to upgrade, as only the multi-tasking capability will improve. But if you want to go for it anyway, look into the 740qm.

There are precautions you should throw to the wind, however; one being that the 740qm has a higher TDP, so it will not only run hotter, but it will require more power on a case by case basis. You might need a more powerful AC adapter for that.
Here is a list of compatible processors for your chipset: http://ark.intel.com/products/43183/Intel-BD82HM55-PCH

But before you run with that, you'll need to find out whether Sony uses a BGA or PGA socket on that model for the CPU. You can figure it out fairly easily either by looking for a manual for your make and model, or by downloading and installing HWInfo; if you go with the latter, check the info under the CPU tree/drop down menu. It should tell you somewhere in there.

If it's BGA - you cannot upgrade it. If it's PGA, then you should be able to upgrade it, although I don't think you'll see an exponential jump in performance even with an i7, let alone for the cost of the CPU.

ParaPara

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

haha, thanks Jack! thats way over my budget! Otherwise, those are some serious machines!

It says:

CPU Platform Socket G1 (rPGA988A).

What would you recommend as CPU upgrade?

I recommend sticking with your i5. ;) Compatible i7 models may get you quad core, but their base clock frequencies are considerably lower (but their turbo is comparable). In my humble opinion, it's not worth the cost to upgrade, as only the multi-tasking capability will improve. But if you want to go for it anyway, look into the 740qm.

There are precautions you should throw to the wind, however; one being that the 740qm has a higher TDP, so it will not only run hotter, but it will require more power on a case by case basis. You might need a more powerful AC adapter for that.

Solution

You're welcome! By the way, your system really should not feel "lazy" with that CPU and especially with a SSD. You may want to investigate that; could be more start up entries/services than you thought, or possibly malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.