Crytek Calls Used Games Block ''Absolutely Awesome''

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisWragg

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Of course, you could solve both the second hand games and piracy problem if the price of games dropped, the prices are just getting silly!

G

Stop whinning crytek, first try to finish a product before rushing it out the factory like you did with crysis 2...no support at all at forum, no replies about glitchs or at least if you guys were looking into i,t even players with a pirated version could play the multiplayer, i wont buy crysis 3 because of that, i dont think you deserve it this time, prove me wrong!
if your game was pirated that much its because it was a shitty game and people dont like to waste money on shit...do they? '-'
well after alll that gigantic mess that you did, there was a problem that could not be solved...the singleplayer plot was really shitty also...well i think thats all...:D dont expect crysis 3 to receive any love from me...i guess the other guys who also bought your unfinished product agree with me here.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]This will be great because it will mean games will be much cheaper to play.[/citation]
I assume you are being sarcastic.

To the developers, how about developing something that works properly and fully out of the box, no High-res texture packs because you couldn't be bothered to do it right the first time, I want to play it once, not have to play it twice because it now looks a bit better. Its not just you, nearly everything is buggy on release, and yet you want us to pay for it.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
you made crysis... an ok game that was basically a TECH DEMO... no one pirated your game to play it, and i how they understand that, people who pirated it did so because tehy wanted the tech demo (they locked settings in the demo if i remember correctly.)

you make a second game, and its not as much of a tech demo as the first (didnt push a system as far) but you failed to make it as good of a shooter... people pirated it anyway, because you are know for TECH DEMO, and when the dx11 patch came out and you had the most advanced dx11 effects in the game (to my knowledge they use dx11 more than any other game currently out, possibly besides blacklight retrobution)

so lets see here
they take the movie industry stance that 1 pirate = 1 sale
the dont realise they made a tech demo
and now they want used market gone because its worse than piracy

you know... i know used games "hurt" the industry, i would personally always buy used, because i buy that many games and i am that cheap (i get close to 10 a year out of pocket, that 5$ discount is 1 new game to me if i go gamestop for it.) but hearing a company actually come out and say this. i know its true but you just dont want to believe the DEVELOPERS are that greedy...

thankfully im not buying ea games any more, otherwise i would have to ad another company to the list of never by something with their names on it (currently its EA and CAPCOM)

and you want to know something,
lets assume that sales will double for the companies if used games go away... want to know what would happen... we will get a system with no more standard prices. they will charge what they feel like because they can, cant rent games, cant trade games, why make the games cost less?

if sony, or microsoft could be trusted like steam is, than it would be different, hell you can find almost 1 game every day made within 1 year on their for 50-80% off, yet i go to a store, and there is not a single game made within a year that is worth playing that is less than 10% off, if cheaper at all.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]This will be great because it will mean games will be much cheaper to play.[/citation]

wow... i never met someone on the internet that hasn't been beaten down by the real world yet...
if used games go away, they could lower the price by 10-30$ and make MORE money than they do now, but they never will, no incentive if there isnt something lower price.

[citation][nom]kriswragg[/nom]Of course, you could solve both the second hand games and piracy problem if the price of games dropped, the prices are just getting silly![/citation]

no... second hand games would still be cheaper, and piracy will happen reguardless, and more often if there is no demo or if game setting and engine things are locked from the demo.

[citation][nom]loksfox[/nom]Stop whinning crytek, first try to finish a product before rushing it out the factory like you did with crysis 2...no support at all at forum, no replies about glitchs or at least if you guys were looking into i,t even players with a pirated version could play the multiplayer, i wont buy crysis 3 because of that, i dont think you deserve it this time, prove me wrong!if your game was pirated that much its because it was a shitty game and people dont like to waste money on shit...do they? '-'well after alll that gigantic mess that you did, there was a problem that could not be solved...the singleplayer plot was really shitty also...well i think thats all... dont expect crysis 3 to receive any love from me...i guess the other guys who also bought your unfinished product agree with me here.[/citation]

they made that game for the console, not for the pc.
let me ask you, do you release the game and finish pc later, makeing EVERYONE mad, or do you put the game out now, and finish the pc later and make the pc mad?

i support their decision to release a finished game for everyone, and get the dx11 crap out later for the pc... many may not thing that, but it was the best move they could have made.

[citation][nom]schnitter[/nom]Just make Cryengine and sell it to competent companies. Crysis 2 was a complete DX9 letdown.[/citation]

it was a let down... but i say the majority of people do not care about YOUR reason for not liking it, thankfully most saw it was dumbed down from the previous game gameplay wise, and not just screaming "WHY U MAKE NO TECH DEMO GAME FOR ME"

[citation][nom]13thmonkey[/nom]I assume you are being sarcastic. To the developers, how about developing something that works properly and fully out of the box, no High-res texture packs because you couldn't be bothered to do it right the first time, I want to play it once, not have to play it twice because it now looks a bit better. Its not just you, nearly everything is buggy on release, and yet you want us to pay for it.[/citation]

again, its the issue of getting the game out the doors now, or hold of for months.

skyrim and crysis 2 WERE NOT pc developed games, they were made for the consoles, and are put out there first.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Wouldn't be awesome if I couldn't borrow my Harry Potter book collection to my friend? He would be forced to buy the whole series! (or not at all). In real life, you can't force people not to burrow their property (even if it is a book or a movie) to others. But thanks to the internet and to obsolete/unable to follow legal system, Crytek is actually abusing and blackmailing customers in order to increase their profits. Or at least this is what they wish for...

AIstudio

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
This is discusting.
I am sorry but this should NEVER be allowed to be implemented.
If I buy anything, and use it for a while, I have the right to sell it if i no longer want it anymore.
So where does this end if all the studios start doing this??
Does this mean that in time, if i buy a new car, I can not sell it on or trade it in because its value is now £0?????
It should be against the law for companies to do this and should be classed as Draconian measure!!!!!!
Sorry but if this starts to happen then i will just stop buying games altogether!!!

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I forgot, games like Contra, Rampage, Gauntlet, Super Off Road, and all these other multiplayer games became legends on the NES bcuz you couldn't take them over to a friends house, and play them, you could only play them on one system right? I can't count how many times I went to friends houses or had them over my house and we swapped games and spent hundreds of hours playing. We didn't need some useless "Windows Live" password, or some other junk.

If game devs had the sorry philosophy back then that crytek and game devs have nowadays these games would have flopped, and would have been forgotten long ago. Final Fantasy never would have made it to VII, and Metroid never would have made it to the SNES. These guys must have started playing video games after the Dreamcast's dream went down the drain.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
this has nothing to do with crytech being money grabbers. its the fact the retailers dont pony up for selling games that they dont have any ownership for but take all the profit from... if you want to be angry at some 1 be angry at the second hand retailers that put the games companies in this position. if they pony up 5-10% of the resale then the games companies will go away or at least stop pushing. but game and the likes wont do that, they would rather clock up 80million in dept and lay off all there staff as long as the guy at the top gets his retirement package...
nah if your gonna be angry at some 1 then make sure its the rite 1

Plasmid

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
This is so sad .... they think they can force people into buying the game just because they kill the resell opportunity the game industry had before. People will either pirate your game for this kind of action or they will hold you a hardcore grudge,like me, and won't buy anything from you.

jldevoy

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Blocking resales could see initial sales plummet; theres plenty of people who will pay £50 for a game that has a weeks playtime if they can then sell it on. If they're gonna be stuck with it then i can see a lot waiting for the pirate version so they can play for that week then delete it.
It's not worth keeping a lot games now for the long term, since they rely on publisher run servers for the proper fun they have no long term value when those servers are turned off.

G

Dumb move...
1. people who bought second-hand games usually can't afford the price of new ones. Guess where they'll turn to get the game? hint: you still won't get their money....
2. People who sell games after they done playing it, use the money to buy more games...if they can't get that money now, do you think that they would be willing to take a 2nd mortgage just to keep the frequency of their game-buying habit? Moreover, few will even turn to follow the #1 people. Remember...for 2nd hand market to exist, other than the buyer, also required supplier..

SgtBilko

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Just drop prices to the sweet spot and people will buy the games. Especially downloads, I just don't get why a download costs more than a hard copy. It makes no sense, after all the game is then locked to your account. Be it Steam or EA's Origin or whatever. I'd bet half priced games on download would generate more revenue than their greedy little minds could dream of.

badvok66

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I think the comments here show we need better education on software licensing. Can you believe some people think they actually own a copy of the game! It's a bit like people buying a CD and thinking they own the music - how dumb is that?
FYI, when you 'buy' a game or any other software you aren't actually buying anything, you are simply paying a license fee for a right to use the software.
So far as I'm aware the legality of the resale of game software licenses has never been tested in court but I do know that there are court cases in progress testing the legality of the resale of general software licenses.
In my opinion, if someone grants you a license to use their software (for a fee or not) you do not have an right to pass that license onto someone else without the owner's express permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.