bzand

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015
How does this sound as a build for a dvr?(I aplogize for not having all parts yet)
Pentium g3258
Micro ATX motherboard(will update to model once chosen)
4-8gb ram (probaly 4 to start)
PSU(have 300 watt unsure if it will fit or I will need a smaller one)
1-2 tb hdd. Either a wd or seagate(can't decide which brand,model and to get a dvr one(WD=AV or purple series SEAGATE=Video))
120-300gb hdd or ssd for boot and programs

I also will probaly be using Myth Tv or a free alternative with a stream from our satellite box. I would like to know if its possible to do that?(iv read you need a guide to record). It basically would need to record monday-friday from 3-4 for my moms soap opera(id like it to keep doing that without me setting it every week) and a few other ocasions.

Couple things. First, is this a free-to-air satellite or like DirectTV/Dish/etc. FTA might be more lax on the copy protection, but DTV/Dish usually won't allow you to copy the HDMI stream due to HDCP with a capture card. EBay sells some cards that seem to be lax about caring about the HDCP protection though. Then you need some sort IR blaster to be able to change the channel on the satellite box and no one can watch it at that time.

A lot of issues and work to do for 1 channel. Maybe a DVR based satellite box would be easier.

bzand

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015

It is direct tv. It non hd stream. My parents are to cheap for a dvr(we have a vcr still to record, its on its last leg and tapes are hard to find). I was thinking making one would be nice. It would just recive a signal from the box via rca or coax(depends on card)and just record it at x time. None else would be using the box at that time. The direct tv box would be set to autotune(turn on and switch to correct channel at correct time) and the pc dvr would start recording. It would basically be used as a vcr is. I would just have a dual boot or some way to play light games and web browse on it.