Deciding Between Two Laptops - Advice Requested!

FarNerdy

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
Hi all,

I've been on a search for a new, bottom-line, basic needs laptop. This will mainly be my travel laptop, so I only need to it do the basic functions such as:

- accessing the Internet from hotels, airports, etc.
- web browsing
- Netflix streaming
- word processing (either via Office 365, Google Docs, OpenOffice, or Microsoft Office software)
- and maybe some Google Hangout or Skype calls (but this is rare)

I don't want a Chromebook. I've been down that route and that is what I am replacing. My Samsung Chromebook crashed, and I think I want to stay with a PC. But, if you can give me some good reasons to stay with a Chromebook, I'm willing to listen to them.

My budget is $400, but I'd be ecstatic to stick under $300.

Here are the two I am considering as of now:

1. ASUS X555LA-HI31103J (http://smile.amazon.com/Asus-Laptop-i3-5020U-Windows-Gradient/dp/B0181OV6JA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455224569&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+x555la-hi31103j)
2. Dell Inspiron I5558-5003BLK (http://versuslaptop.com/dell-inspiron-i5558-5003blk-review/)

Regarding the Dell Inspiron, it is on "Open Box" sale at my local Best Buy for $370. With the i7 processor, I figured it was worth considering.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Solution
For what you're wanting to use the laptop for, I'm thinking the ASUS would be better. ASUS has parts that often tend to favor graphics and visualizations; so they're not easily as overheated, etc.

Dell Inspirions are known as the corporate standard of what laptops are considered to be; I wouldn't imagine they would fair up against an ASUS for Nextflix streaming.

Just my opinion, but every person who answers this will give you a different one.

thejackal85

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
For what you're wanting to use the laptop for, I'm thinking the ASUS would be better. ASUS has parts that often tend to favor graphics and visualizations; so they're not easily as overheated, etc.

Dell Inspirions are known as the corporate standard of what laptops are considered to be; I wouldn't imagine they would fair up against an ASUS for Nextflix streaming.

Just my opinion, but every person who answers this will give you a different one.

Solution