filterkapi

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014
I encrypted my windows 7 partition using a usb as key and then also encrypted the usb and the recovery key for windows 7 is in the usb itself. I only have the encryption password I entered while encrypting usb and windows 7. I have Ubuntu installed on a separate partition. What can I do? If I could access my usb data that would be great as it has the recovery key.
I don't have recovery key to the encrypted usb only the first password I entered while turning on bitlocker on my usb.

Solution
You will first need to to decrypt your USB drive and retrieve the key, then once you have your key you can use http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/outils/dislocker/ which supports bitlocker protected disks and will allow you to unlock them. I am not 100% sure if it also works on USB drives but if you don't have the password that you typed in for USB drive you will be forced to reformat both. If it involves anything further like taking advantage of the many USB encryption vulnerabilities that are out there, we can't help with something like that.

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
You will first need to to decrypt your USB drive and retrieve the key, then once you have your key you can use http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/outils/dislocker/ which supports bitlocker protected disks and will allow you to unlock them. I am not 100% sure if it also works on USB drives but if you don't have the password that you typed in for USB drive you will be forced to reformat both. If it involves anything further like taking advantage of the many USB encryption vulnerabilities that are out there, we can't help with something like that.

Solution

filterkapi

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014
Thanks. I was looking to decrypt my USB drive but I don't have the key for that either. I am not sure why I thought windows 7 will somehow decrypt the USB while booting. It was stupid of me. The recovery key for USB is in the Windows 7 partition itself. Can I format the USB? Will that still work as a recovery key for windows 7?

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Yeah when you insert the drive into your system if it is encrypted it essentially sees the drive as being blank or not mountable. So even though your drive has the key stored on it the point of encryption is so no one else can read it, or access it in short. So unless you set a master pass on either the hard drive or USB drive you are out of luck without knowing the password that was set on the USB drive. But if you selected the option so you have the USB key and password method as a backup recovery method you could type it into your linux box with the APP I originally linked. I haven't used bitlocker in a while since I'm mostly a linux user but I believe that is still an option. If that doesn't work you will need to wipe both hard drive and SSD.