Dedicated Graphics with a Dell D1000 dock.

ecna1ab

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I am running an Inspiron 7559.

I am trying to force my dedicated GPU (GEForce 960m) to be the primary video card when plugged into a D1000 Dell Docking station. I tried disabling the integrated graphics, and all that got me was default windows graphics and the system did not recognize the dedicated GPU at all.

I set everything to performance, and even tried forcing the 3D settings for the Displaylink driver and useragent to be the Global Setting of Nvidia processor.

When looking at the PhysX Configuration within the Nvidia control panel, even if I select a PhysX processor to be the GeForce GTX 960M, it still shows the 2 external monitors running off the intel HD Graphics.

My question is this.. Can I somehow force all monitors (and hopefully programs) to run via the GeForce GTX 960M gpu? If so, how would this be done?

The reason I know that the dedicated GPU isn't working is that I am trying to play some CS:GO and my fps is more in line with the integrated graphics than the 960m while the dock is plugged in. (30fps compared to the 200 or so fps I get with the 960m)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
How did you disable the integrated graphics? You might have issues if you did it through device manager.

Ideally, the way you would disable the integrated graphic chip from a hardware level is by utilizing Nvidia Optimus technology. This is a feature that you would switch on/off in the system BIOS, but it doesn't appear that option is even there in that particular BIOS.

Flash it to the latest BIOS if it's not there already, then check the BIOS if the option is there.

If it's not, then Optimus is not supported on the machine even though the GPU is capable (GTX 960M).

saywhut

Estimable
Sep 11, 2014
How did you disable the integrated graphics? You might have issues if you did it through device manager.

Ideally, the way you would disable the integrated graphic chip from a hardware level is by utilizing Nvidia Optimus technology. This is a feature that you would switch on/off in the system BIOS, but it doesn't appear that option is even there in that particular BIOS.

Flash it to the latest BIOS if it's not there already, then check the BIOS if the option is there.

If it's not, then Optimus is not supported on the machine even though the GPU is capable (GTX 960M).

Solution