Default Restoring Windows Server 2008 to default settings?

Bellzemos

Estimable
Sep 27, 2014
Hello!

First of all, I'm new to servers. I've installed Windows Server 2008 x86 on an old PC and played with it, created a couple accounts, OUs, roles etc.

I would like to revert it all back to the state when I installed it (plus keep the Windows updates - if possible).

Is that possible to do? Or do I have to manually remove all the things I did (I'm not even sure that I remember all since I was playing with it quite a while ago).

Thank you!

thently

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Yea sorry the only way to do this is with VM's and this is not how you did it. With a VM you came make a snapshot change whatever you want and go back to your snapshot at any time. You will need to reload or uninstall everything.

Thently

Bellzemos

Estimable
Sep 27, 2014
It's only right that you ask, I should have mentioned it, even though it's pretty obvious - It's a lot of hassle on my old PC, it takes time. Plus all the updates... Is there really no other way to delete all I've done on it? I would REALLY like to avoid the re-install...

In the same way you cannot do it with any Windows version prior to 8, you cannot do it with servers. You should have planned that you will want to revert to "fresh" state.

You can create another user with administrative rights, who will get a fresh user profile, but will do nothing to server settings.