Dell 7577 or lenovo y720

mrpitics

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Hello.

Im trying to decide between the following two laptops.
Dell 7577
Cpu: i5-7300
Gpu: gtx 1060 max-q
Ram: 8gb
Storage: 256gb ssd
Other: win 10 license, 5 year warranty + 1 year accidental damage insurance
Price:~1600$

Lenovo Y720
Cpu: i7-7700 hq
Gpu: gtx 1060
Ram: 8gb
Storage: 1gb hdd+ 128gb ssd
Other: no OS, 3 year warranty, a gamer headset thrown in as bonus... dont really care about that tbh.

Screen is FHD ips on both and both comes with 1 year pixel insurance.

To be honest its a hard choice. Im kinda restricted by the budget. These are the absolute maximum i can afford. The dell seems to have more utility with the os license ( which would be welcome since i dont own win10) the 5 year warranty the 1 year accident insurance. Also i see on every review that the machine is running exceptionally cool and seems to be sturdy and probably reliable. Bad screen though.

However the y720 is just more piwerfull. Has a better screen a better sound system. It is made frim aluminium so its probably dense as a tank as well.

I really cant decide. Anybody have any insight?

Solution
The 7577 is a quality build, I like :Lenovo's as well and both company's offer decent customer support. I can speak to Dells CS as I own a 7577 myself. The screens are not as bad as everyone talks about in reviews. Unless you are coming from a 4K monitor or laptop you wont be disappointed in the screen. As far as CPUs go I cant speak to performance differences in the i5 vs i7, but everything I have read is that the seventh gen i5's are very good and plenty fast. The biggest thing is the 1060 and both come with that. The 7577 is super easy to upgrade, 1 large bay door and you have access to the whole laptop; should you want to add RAM switch out SSDs or wifi cards or even re-apply thermal compound, the Dell is very user friendly in that...

jtimm00

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
The 7577 is a quality build, I like :Lenovo's as well and both company's offer decent customer support. I can speak to Dells CS as I own a 7577 myself. The screens are not as bad as everyone talks about in reviews. Unless you are coming from a 4K monitor or laptop you wont be disappointed in the screen. As far as CPUs go I cant speak to performance differences in the i5 vs i7, but everything I have read is that the seventh gen i5's are very good and plenty fast. The biggest thing is the 1060 and both come with that. The 7577 is super easy to upgrade, 1 large bay door and you have access to the whole laptop; should you want to add RAM switch out SSDs or wifi cards or even re-apply thermal compound, the Dell is very user friendly in that respect. So unless you really prefer Lenovo's over Dell, I would go with the 7577 you wont have buyers remorse or second guess your decision IMHO.

Solution

mrpitics

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Thanks for the answer.
Im kinda leaning towards the dell as well. It just seems like a really balanced package that has every important thing covered with no really important drawbacks or faults. Still i read some good things about thd y720 as well and since it's a more expensive machine and they are on the same price only because of a sale, i thought i get some feedback on it. But maybe the extra price only come from the gimmics that the delk doesnt have (and are not that important in the end ). Oh and one more thing. How's the thermals on the dell?

jtimm00

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

The thermals are so-so on the Dell, the 1050ti can get quite warm while gaming. However aside from the cooling pad I have it on, I used throttlestop to undervolt the CPU and got thermals down about -10C. I was really impressed the difference that made. If you are unfamiliar with undervolting or throttlestop, I advice you to research it a bit, you can really do no harm to your PC. But if you start tinkering around throttlestop and move the voltages in the wrong direction, you can increase thermals. Here is a link for a basic walk-through of throttlestop and undervolting.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/10167-laptop-undervolting-overcloking/

So with the cooling pad and undervolting thermals are at much more tolerable level for long gaming sessions and the heat vents through the rear of the laptop and not the sides so your hand doesn't get baked while playing, something I didn't notice right away but was an added bonus for me as my hand always gets warm with side vented laptops. Let me know how it goes or if you get stuck and have questions.

Feb 26, 2018

I'm also thinking about picking up the Dell 7577 with the i7-7700 1060max-q. My usage is going to be less for gaming, more for virtualization\Penetration testing\scripting. I thought of getting a workstation, but since the price range is more or less similar, i though why not get something that can allow me to play the occasional game or two. Would this option be an overkill for me in your opinion?

thanks.

jtimm00

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

I don't think it will be overkill as the GTX 1060 will get you at least 3-4 years of future proofing if you did want to do the occasional gaming session or even explore VR gaming. The 1060 is really just a great GPU and far better then anything else unless you go big and get a machine that has a 1070 or 1080 in it. Then you are running into the mid $1000-$2000 range which may be overkill for your application. I have a 7567 (has a 1050ti) so I'm partial to the build and running any kind of video rendering, testing or just graphically intense program will be a snap on the 7577. But if your budget allows it and you are looking for a solid laptop the 7577 is for sure a great choice and you wont find yourself needing to upgrade anytime soon. The GTX 1060 technology wise, will probably outlast the length of time you own the laptop; meaning you will probably find yourself having to replace components, SSD /HDD, screen, RAM or just the whole laptop because of natural wear and tear, before the technology passes up what the 1060 is capable of and you find yourself in search of a machine with a better GPU. More or less the entire GTX 10 series GPU changed the entire "gaming" laptop landscape.

mrpitics

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
And how does the 1060 max-q stand up against the old guard? Compared to a 4gb 980m built into a Rog how does it perform? Should be about similar with worse energy management right? ( which is impressive btw)

jtimm00

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

I haven't personally bench-marked them side by side, just seen raw data. The 980m is no slouch, I am not sure what wattage chip it is though. Weras the 1060 max Q is an 80 watt chip and can handle pretty much any game on high to ultra settings, with the exception of witcher 3, you would probably need a 1070 to play at high to ultra settings. But you are correct though about less energy management, dont think you are buying a machine with a 1060 in it and gaming on your battery. You may get 45 min if you are lucky if that 1060 is turned on and just sucking down power. So thats something to keep in mind, while the chip is spectacular and you can tweak your battery and settings to maximize energy efficiency, you aren't dropping in a 3 hour session on Call of Duty with out being tethered to your AC adapter.

Basically the whole concept of 'gaming laptops' was a joke until the GTX 10 series dropped. You can play premium new titles from all the major companies at high graphics and maintain or exceed 60FPS. I have a 1050ti and I have played only 1 game (tomb raider) where had to drop the settings down from high/ultra realm to maintain that 60FPS that has eluded laptop gamers forever unless you dropped $2k on some high end beast. I actually switched from desktop gaming to laptop because how great these 10 series cards are and for the prices? You cant even find a desktop 1050ti for less then what I paid for my laptop, & thats if you are lucky enough to actually even get one with this bitcoin madness going on.

So in a nut shell, the 980 and maybe the 960 can hold their own on some newer titles and they are still relevant chips. The 10 series chips are basically in a class by themselves though and have set a new standard for laptop gaming & PC gaming in general. VR gaming is all the rave if you can afford all the gear, and at a minimum you need a 1060 (actually probably a 1070 to get decent FPS) or above to give you that VR gaming experience. A 1050 and below will not run any VR gaming.

mrpitics

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
What i said about energy management was mainly aimed towards heat. I dont plan to game on the move too much however i move much so i need the mobility of the notebook. I was mainly interested in the heat aspect of the thing. Since more heat = faster material degradation inside the case. But this is basically what I thought as well. A 980m would be nice if I bought it 2 years ago. Then it wouldnt justify an upgrade since i's still capable. But since im buying now I should go with a 1060 . Also I think 980m doesn't support newer APIs like vulcan.
Well in any case ill continue my search for the perfect notebook for the next 4 years.
Really feel like im starving to death in a tesco theres so much options and good machines out there in my price range. :D

jtimm00

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

Well good luck finding the right machine for you. Typically price, portability & performance are the main factors in a purchase choice. Un;ess you drop 2k on a laptop you really have decide what two are most important since getting all 3 is in the 2k range. To be honest unless you want to do some VR gaming , a 1050ti may serve you best since you will only be doing light gaming. If you wanted to save a few $$$ and decided on Dell. They have a rocking deal on 7567s right now with a 1050ti and 256GB SSD for $699 w/o tax and shipping. Thats a steal of a price since the base model with just a 1050 and 1TB HDD is $749. Here is the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/inspiron-15-7567-laptop

I gather that the stock wont last long though, the cheapest Ive seen this configuration was $820. You will be hard pressed to find any other laptops with similar specs and the 1050ti for less then $800.

mrpitics

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Well that is an absolute bargain. Shame that I live in europe. The tax and shipping is a fortune to here. But I'll kedp looking. I havs some 1050ti rigs in scope as well. I was looking at the 1060 mainly because of its longevity.