Dell chromebook will not boot

Opus456

Commendable
May 3, 2016
My son has a school issued Dell Chromebook 11. He decided he wanted Linux on it and did the bios update from John Lewis's site. He messed things up somehow and now we can't get it to restore back to its original state. John Lewis's site has directions for restoring but I can't get the thing to go into recovery mode. ESC+Refresh+Power doesn't work. The directions talk about bringing up a terminal and then has a bunch of stuff to type in to change it back to the original state. I can create a chrome restore boot drive using a usb thumb drive and the chromebook will boot to it but that doesn't do any good.

When it boots I get the Press ESC for boot menu. (pressing ESC doesn't do anything unless you have a usb thumb drive plugged in)

Booting from Hard Disk....
Boot partition not found.

Solution
That's a bit harsh. Especially when I manage a whole fleet of Chromebooks for a school.

If you have a tech guy at the school, they can restore it from the USB boot disk. It takes 10 minutes. Nothing to worry about. Unless he opened the sucker up and did damage to it that way. Then it's a longer fix, but still fixable.

Opus456

Commendable
May 3, 2016

Thanks for that deeply helpful information. Your a godsend. No really, you are.

Though it really doesn't matter, insurance was purchased so there is no issue there. I would just prefer to give it back to them it working condition so they don't have to bother with it.

Steve Simons

Estimable
May 31, 2014
That's a bit harsh. Especially when I manage a whole fleet of Chromebooks for a school.

If you have a tech guy at the school, they can restore it from the USB boot disk. It takes 10 minutes. Nothing to worry about. Unless he opened the sucker up and did damage to it that way. Then it's a longer fix, but still fixable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS