Dell laptop some numerical keys not working

DellFrustration

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Hi,

My Dell Inspiron computer number from one to four and severn to zero have stopped working. Only the 5 and 6 work.

Any ideas what has gone wrong and how to fix it. I have tried the num lock key and rebooting computer but this hasn't resolved the situation.

Thanks

G

If possible, connect an external keyboard (perhaps via USB). See if that behaves -- if external is okay suggests that laptop keyboard cable or matrix have gone. If you've recently spilled liquid into the keyboard you may get similar symptoms.

a7xrocks33

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hello,
I have just had the EXACT same thing happen to me... same kind of computer and same keys working and not working... I dont know what to do, but in the mean time I'm using the on-screen keyboard in the tools for those numbers.

DougChristieKO

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I have the exact same problem too. I have a Dell Inspiron 14R and all my numbers aren't working except 5 and 6. I have to copy and paste the other numbers. My end key also isn't working. My left and right arrow keys aren't working properly. When I press either the right arrow or left arrow, it goes one space to the left and then quickly moves one space back to the right. But when I hold down either the left or right arrow key, the cursor continuously moves to the right. My up arrow key is also unable to move a cursor or scroll a webpage up continously when I hold it down.

seenaps

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hi ,
I had a similar problem. some of my dell laptop keys were not working suddenly, without any reason.
so i tried running the dell diagnostics from the resource cd. in dell diagnostics go to custome system testing and select keyboard tests.
run each keyboard test one by one. Do the Stuck Key Test.The test would seem to be non responsive, but dont bother, leave the test to run for one hour and after that reboot the laptop. then boot the OS as usual and check if the keys are working.

Note: this solution works only if the keyboard started not working suddenly on its own without any reason.

seenaps

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

seenaps

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hi ,
I had a similar problem. some of my dell laptop keys were not working suddenly, without any reason.
so i tried running the dell diagnostics from the resource cd. in dell diagnostics go to custome system testing and select keyboard tests.
run each keyboard test one by one. Do the Stuck Key Test.The test would seem to be non responsive, but dont bother, leave the test to run for one hour and after that reboot the laptop. then boot the OS as usual and check if the keys are working.

Note: this solution works only if the keyboard started not working suddenly on its own without any reason.

Mikeandy

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Try opening the BIOS (Press F2 when starting) There is a default keyboard number lock & Function option. Set the defaults as: Number lock "Off" and as for the Function Key: Function Key "OFF"

Mar 27, 2018
Hey guys! So I've had a HP Pavilion Notebook 15 for the past 5 years and had recently performed a clean erase and install of Windows 10. So after the install the following keys on the keypad stopped working:
On the numpad above the keyboard: 1-4 and 7-0
On the numpad to the right, keys 1 and 4 ( even when numlock is ON )
The right and down arrow keys.

So after searching the internet for all sorts of solutions, I've found one at this link
https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/927824/windows-may-not-use-the-correct-keyboard-layout-when-you-connect-a-usb

So the problem was that the keyboard layout that is set by Windows and the actual layout of the keyboard hardware, were set to be different and this caused the keys to be mapped to wrong values.
In the above link there are solutions given for various kinds of keyboard hardware currently installed on your PC. To identify which solution to follow, you can identify your keyboard layout by going through the following steps:
1. Windows + R, to open up the Run module
2. Type in msinfo and press Enter
3. In the Components tab, under Input, select Keyboard.
4. Your type of keyboard would be mentioned under Description

Using that as your reference, follow the steps mentioned in the above link, and after a computer restart, all your keys should start working properly.

Cheers!