Dell Latitude E5510 Can't boot from USB or DVD Drives

okrobie

Estimable
Mar 2, 2016
I have a bad hard drive on this machine so I'm trying to boot from a Win 10 PE ISO USB or DVD. When it boots it says to hit F12 for boot options. It brings up a nice menu of boot devices which in the Legacy section includes the USB drive and the DVD drive. If I choose the USB option, it just goes to a blinking hyphen in the upper left corner and stays there forever. If I choose the DVD option it starts to boot to a blue Win 10 window and stays there forever.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help.

Regards, Jim

Solution
I can see how you're confused. There is a lot that the user needs to be sure about before he/she installs Windows.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

First of all, you need a computer that already has Windows installed onto it. Download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft website. It's the big blue button that says "Download Tool Now". Insert a USB flash drive into the computer that downloaded the tool, run the Media Creation Tool, select Create Install Media for Another PC, Select USB Flash Drive, select your drive from the menu, select the version of Windows 10 to set up on the flash drive, click go and let it run until it completes. It's that simple. Once complete, close the tool before removing the USB...

RARRAF

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
you are not doing anything wrong but the "Win 10 PE ISO" has to be extracted to the usb drive right click extract to / or to the hard drive then copyed to the USB then you should be able to boot from it hope this helps.

okrobie

Estimable
Mar 2, 2016
I tried it your way and it tried to boot to the USB but after a few minutes it came up with a message: "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.We'll restart it for you." I tried it with a NTFS and exFAT format bed.

RARRAF

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
I can see how you're confused. There is a lot that the user needs to be sure about before he/she installs Windows.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

First of all, you need a computer that already has Windows installed onto it. Download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft website. It's the big blue button that says "Download Tool Now". Insert a USB flash drive into the computer that downloaded the tool, run the Media Creation Tool, select Create Install Media for Another PC, Select USB Flash Drive, select your drive from the menu, select the version of Windows 10 to set up on the flash drive, click go and let it run until it completes. It's that simple. Once complete, close the tool before removing the USB flash drive and install on your machine.

Solution

okrobie

Estimable
Mar 2, 2016
Thanks RARRAF, sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this issue. I downloaded a fresh ISO from getintopc.com and used RUFUS to create- a- fresh stick and it worked fine. I think I had used it so much that it had become corrupted. Thanks, Jim