Dell XPS 13 9333

tfzscvang

Estimable
May 24, 2014
Hey Guys,

I just recently purchased an XPS 13" 9333 (13ULT-7144SLV). The laptop has the following specs:

i7-4510U CPU
8GB RAM
256 SSD
Running Windows 8.1

I was just curious as to why the CPU, when under full load, is capped @ 75% utilization (speed @ ~1.95 GHz) when the laptop is running on battery, but then when i plug in the laptop (meaning it is charged) and the system is under full load, the CPU is able to be utilized 100% (speed @ ~2.6 or higher)?

Is there any way i can change this so that regardless of being plugged in or not, i will be able to utilize the CPU @ 100%? I have tried messing with the "Advanced Power Options" > "Processor Power Management" settings but have not been able to get around this issue.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

It is capped to save battery. I don't really know what the power profiles are for the dell laptop so you will have to look at the process power management settings as this is how I can control it in mine. There should be a min and max settings.

tfzscvang

Estimable
May 24, 2014

I have the max setting @ 100% for both battery & plugged in but it seems to make no difference in the CPU utilization :( Are there any options are to getting around this?