Dell xps 13 touchpad only works with 32 bit os

RoShamBo123

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I just got a refurbished xps 13 that came with a 64bit version of win 8.1 installed. The touchpad didn't work at all. No cursor on the screen.

I installed a 32bit version of win10, and the touchpad worked, but the computer could not detect its built in speakers, and it has 8GB of ram so I wanted to switch to 64bit.

When I installed the 64bit version of win10, the touchpad stopped working again, but the speakers worked.

I tried to update the touchpad firmware from dell's website, but the process gives an error as it can't connect to the touchpad. However, the touchpad shows up in device manager. I've uninstalled the touchpad and had it reinstall but it didn't work.

Here's the kicker: when on a 32bit windows bootstick, the trackpad works, but not on a 64bit windows bootstick. Doesn't matter if it's a win8 or win10 bootstick.

Any suggestions?

Solution
That system does have 64 bit support for the touchpad, and other drivers
9333_Input_Driver_2HRKP_WN_17.0.15.62_A02.EXE | Update Package for Microsoft® Windows® (59 MB)

Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices
|

Release date 04 Jul 2014

|
Last Updated 04 Jul 2014
|
Recommended

Version 17.0.15.62,A02

Should be working fine, but... it's refurbished, which means that something was wrong with it at some point and it got returned and fixed. It may have been for a touchpad issue. Try a BIOS update, if that does not help, you would need to contact Dell or the seller of the system to return it or get it fixed.
That system does have 64 bit support for the touchpad, and other drivers
9333_Input_Driver_2HRKP_WN_17.0.15.62_A02.EXE | Update Package for Microsoft® Windows® (59 MB)

Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices
|

Release date 04 Jul 2014

|
Last Updated 04 Jul 2014
|
Recommended

Version 17.0.15.62,A02

Should be working fine, but... it's refurbished, which means that something was wrong with it at some point and it got returned and fixed. It may have been for a touchpad issue. Try a BIOS update, if that does not help, you would need to contact Dell or the seller of the system to return it or get it fixed.

Solution

RoShamBo123

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Neither driver updates nor a BIOS update did anything...
Dell support couldn't help either.
I did just get it through Amazon, so they're replacing it for me.

Thanks for your help.