Dell XPS 15 9550 4 orange blinks and 1 white blink

Jul 19, 2018
Hi there,

Yesterday, my computer (had the computer for 1.5yrs) started acting quite strange. After the fan began to pick up even for a little bit, the laptop automatically shuts down (ie playing overwatch for 10 min). Then this pattern of blinking lights occurs (4 orange, 1 white), and the computer tries to restart itself 5x without success. I have to manually turn it back on by pressing the power button again. My question is what do the blinking lights mean, and why does my fan kicking in kill my computer? I've done BIOS update, F12 troubleshoot, downgraded the intel thermal framework to A04, and I can't even reset my computer without the fans kicking in and shutting my computer down mid-reset.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Jimmy

Could be something is overheating or the fan could be going bad. Try monitoring the temps and see what they get to. If they are fine, then I would look into cleaning out the laptop of dust and debris. If that doesn't work, then try replacing the fan.

Could be something is overheating or the fan could be going bad. Try monitoring the temps and see what they get to. If they are fine, then I would look into cleaning out the laptop of dust and debris. If that doesn't work, then try replacing the fan.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 4
J Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 2
H Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1