Solved! Dell XPS 15 with i7-7700HQ Fixed down clock to 0.78Ghz

May 27, 2018
I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 i7-7700HQ, lake processor GTX1050 and 16GB of RAM.
I have it rased up off the table to help with cooling as I know this can be a problem. When I am gaming the temps get to about 75 Celsius but sometimes randomly the CPU will down clock to 0.78Ghz and keep it fixed there. Even after the temps have come down to 35 the CPU is still fixed at this low level. I have done a fresh install of windows and cleaned out all dust and checked fans but its still the same. i have also tried using throttle stop but it doesn't seem to help. Its odd that its specifically 0.78GHz and it will only return back to 2.8Ghz after restarting the laptop. I just played BF1 for 3 hours and it was fine then 30 mins of CSGO and it down clocked. The other strange thing is that it is only using about 20% of the CPU at 0.78Ghz.

Solution
Do you have any BIOS updates pending for your laptop motherboard? Did you recreate the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools to rule out a corrupt installer?
May 27, 2018

No I have done all the updates drivers and BIOS for the main board and I have already done a "clean" install of windows (wiped all files but dell software remained). I will give that a go now! cheers :D

TRENDING THREADS