Dell XPS M1530 fan stops working after boot.

max90

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
When the laptop turns on, the fans start than stop working, windows boot's up normally but the fan does not spin. I have flashed the bios with the latest A12 version, I have reset the CMOS, I reinstalled the os, but still no changes. I measured the power coming from the pins when the system starts and it initially gives a ~1.5 volt charge and than 0 volts. While looking around the bios for the 100th time to see if I missed something, the fan started up, I booted windows, but after 2 minutes or so it stopped working again. I also tried changing the power settings in windows, but still nothing. I'd like to add that all this started when I installed speedfan on the laptop, but since than the os has been reinstalled, bios has been updated and reseted so I'm thinking any damage cause by speedfan should have been repaired. Any help would be appreciated.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Speedfan can't damage your fan hardware. Reset your BIOS to its default setting and try again. Also make sure SpeedStep is enabled.

BTW, does the fan kick on as you use the system or does it stay off all of the time?

You are describing, potentially, a hardware issue. If resetting the BIOS doesn't help, it could be a temp sensor or fan issue.

Good luck!

max90

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Reset the cmos, as in I took out the cmos battery which resets the bios. The speedfan was a long shoot since it started when I installed speedfan, but that might be coincidence.

The fan starts when I start the laptop and stops after that, I imagine it's a system diagnostic making sure everything is working fine.

The sensor is working, since it displays temperatures in hw monitor under windows and the fan is also working since it starts up, I measured the pins through which it should be getting the electricity to function and as described after the initial jolt it doesn't get any electricity.

There are no fan related options in the system bios, I imagine laptops are less configurable than desktops.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yep, coincidental and your are right able laptops typically having fewer options than desktops. Dell really limits your options regardless.

It really sounds like the mobo's power management functions are working and it doesn't power the fan unless temps increase to a certain point.

However, could also be an ACPI issue. Check dell.com/support to make sure you have the latest BIOS for your system installed. Even if already installed, reflashing could correct any possible BIOS issues you have.

Good luck!

max90

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
It was running on an A07 bios and I updated it with the latest A12. I mentioned that in my original post.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Understood, but you might want to re-flash to the A12 version. You have made a lot of changes and may have an issue in the BIOS load itself now. Certainly won't hurt anything and could resolve any potential BIOS related problems.

Just to be clear, does the fan ever turn itself on when the system is running?

max90

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Ok I will do that. No, with one exception which happened while I was looking around in it's bios and lasted about 2 minutes while running windows, but than it stopped and wasn't able to repeat the situation.

max90

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Yes the bios is set to default, the os I'm running is windows 7, but the problem started on windows vista, I ran the diag program when it was still using vista and the fan worked as it should, I will run it again just to make sure and will post back the results.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Also, try going into your BIOS and disabling SpeedStep. This will force the system to run at the highest level all the time (vice stepping down to conserve battery life and reduce heat). Doing this should force the fan tooperate all of the time. Just want to see if the fan can be forced to run at this point.

max90

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Okay thanks for the info, but I tested the fan separately just to make sure it works I connected it to a battery and it worked fine.