Status
Not open for further replies.

ViddyD

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
My Denon AVR 15-13 5.1 receiver has developed the habit of randomly shutting itself off causing the power light to blink red at an interval of twice a second. I disconnected all the speakers and peripherals, even the subwoofer, but it still keeps shutting off. Sometimes it works perfectly, all audio channels crisp and present, for a week or more at a time before it shuts off. Sometimes it shuts off within a couple minutes over and over for days on end every time I try. Minutes, hours, weeks, days, I never know when it's going to shut down.

I opened it up and sprayed with air duster. I sprayed out and checked the terminals for loose wire. Oh, on that note, my speaker wire terminated bare. I had no banana plugs or anything similar because it seems my receiver type won't support it; it just has small, plain clamps. I didn't solder the ends because I read that that can reduce the audio quality.

Another thing: I bought this factory refurbished a few years ago and noticed (just recently when I first opened it) that several of the cylindrical battery-looking objects have a rock solid white substance that seemed to have dripped from the top and solidified, sometimes into small pools around the base. The substance has the hardened remnants of tiny (what appears to be) bubbles. I realized this is probably safe and intentional because the vertical circuit boards have the same drip formation but flowing sideways towards the board itself instead of downward onto the bottom of the unit indicating that this happened while all the PCBs were removed and sitting horizontally. So this appears to be part of the refurbishing process.

I'm not at all experienced with av receiver repair but I visually inspected the inside and didn't see any signs of burnt or blown plugs or fuses. I could be wrong though. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be and how to fix it? I'm willing to try and learn advanced methods since I refuse to pay nearly $200 to have it repaired when I could buy a new one at that price. Thank you, everybody, in advance. :)

try looking online for the repair guild or service guild for your unit. it wil have a flow chart that can help you. the first cheap part is trhe main fuses of the reciver. try replacing it see if it a weak fuse. from there you need the repair guild and a volt meter that does ohms and dc voltages. you have to see if one of the test ponts are missing voltages.

battery looking objects... did you mean capacitors? google leaking capacitors to see if that is what you're referring to. if they are in fact leaking that could be the problem right there. hard to say based on what you have said alone - visual inspection or photos are required.

ViddyD

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the quick responses! I was gonna upload some pics of the capacitors (yes, that's what they were) but ImageShack won't send me a verification email to make an account to do so and it's been a while. :-S However, upon further Googling I discovered that it's just adhesive on them so I can skip that.

I downloaded the service manual and located the two fuses. I got one out but I need to basically disassemble the entire thing to reach the other one so I'll have to do that when I get time. I'll run by Radioshack or somewhere when I get them both out. Though the one I already took out doesn't look burnt or anything.

The fuse I already removed is described as "218 Series - 250V - 6.3A" and looks like a tiny glass canister.

The one I've yet to reach is described as "372 Series - 100mA - TR5" and just looks like a small, short orange cylinder. However, there is a symbol next to the part number and that symbol means "Parts indicated have critical characteristics. Use ONLY replacement parts recommended by the manufacturer" so I'm a little iffy to just replace it with a Radioshack piece especially since when I Google it the part I'm shown looks a bit different, it has two long thin metal sticks that the part on my PCB doesn't have.

So I looked on Amazon for a good voltage meter but I don't know anything about them. Which one looks to be the best one to get and why (under $30 if possible)? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=voltage+meter

ViddyD

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Alright, thanks! I just ordered the meter and it should be here by Wednesday but until then I'm gonna try to find a local store to buy a replacement for the 250V fuse. Too bad I already took it darn near completely apart, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.