Desctop pc to tv connection through vga cable. No sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleksejs

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015
Hiya. I got a problem . I connected my desktop pc to tv through vga cable .So I got separate cable for audio, 3,5mm one . But I can't get any sound. I tried everything. On my TV, I have only one jack for sound, other one is sideav ,so can't miss on that one . On my pc tried everything. Microphone jack on front panel and green colour jack on a back panel. Nothing. Tried all others as well. I know cable is working, used before. I think I messed up with settings or something. Any help?

Aleksejs

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015

So how can i change that. Used before, was working fine, when changed flat, tried to connect everything back, no sound :(

Mar 19, 2017

Hi Wolf

I'm experiencing the same problem can you help me at all?

I have just purchased a second hand desktop setup and it turns out the monitor is actually a Goodmans TV operating in PC Mode to bring me the picture. The set up came with a sound system which didn't work because I assume its a TV? and the sound has to come from the TV rather than an external device?

Anyway I did some Googling and found that a HDMI would be an easy fix but the desktop does not have a HDMI so theres no quick fix there!

I then found that with the VGA you need a male to male Aux lead from the desktop to the television to enable sound alongside the VGA. I had high hopes on this one but for some reason this didn't work either! no sound from the TV when playing youtube at all.

It seems this can get complicated when trying to use a TV as a monitor.

Could it be anything to do with the TV Settings or Desktop sound settings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated in solving this one.!

Ps the Goodmans is a LD1971D

Mar 19, 2017

Wolf Thanks for your response!

Any reccomendations where I can find one of these cheap? Also is installation diffucult? What are the chances of me breaking my desktop lol?

Would a VGA TO HDMI Lead not work?

Installation is fairly easy, but we'd need to know the specifications of your PC before making any recommendations.

There are plenty of videos online that show how to install a graphics card. Just go to YouTube and search, "Installing a graphics card".

A VGA to HDMI converter would not work because VGA does not carry the audio signal like HDMI does.

-Wolf sends

Mar 19, 2017

Afternoon Wolf after checking my TV there are two Aux's one for output and one for headphones in theory this should work with a male to male shouldn't it?

I also tested the TV in freeview mode to make sure the sound was working.

Ive used the Aux lead before to so pretty confident its not that either! Hmmmm VERY strange.

What specs do You need please?

I know its got a

HP intel core I3
3.50GHZ
8GB Ram
1TB Hardrive.

Im actually looking forward to installing a new graphics card :)

Unless I'm missing something here, the idea is to get your PC audio (and video) from the PC to the TV. Therefore, your TV's audio outputs aren't going to be of any use. You're looking for TV inputs.

Need to know that your computer's motherboard has an available PCI-Ex16 expansion slot, whether or not your PC is a standard case or slimline/low-profile, and that your power supply has enough wattage to power a graphics card.

Something like a GT 610 would be more than enough for what you want to do, but we just need to make sure it will fit in your system. If you're not sure, see if you can take a picture of the back of and the inside of your computer and post there here (using a image hosting site like imgur.com).

-Wolf sends

Mar 19, 2017

Hi Wolf

Hope you had a nice week. Thanks again for your assistance.

Just managed to do as you have asked please see photo links below of both the back of my tower and on the inside.

http://imgur.com/ECydExI
http://imgur.com/HweswkZ
http://imgur.com/0By6LT5
http://imgur.com/OqGQTZB
http://imgur.com/Sn3flqN

I'm pretty sure its just a standard sized tower. it looks like them fans need a good clean! :-O

Is there any space in there for a new Graphics card? doesn't look like it to me but your the guru!!?

Yes. The expansion slot closest to your CPU cooler is the PCI-Ex16 slot. You can install a graphics card there. Something inexpensive like a GT610 or GT720 should work for you.

And yes. A quick blast with a can of compressed air would do wonders.

-Wolf sends

Mar 19, 2017

Hi Wolf.

I went into town today and bought a graphics card and compressed air. After fiddling around with the back of the conputer trying remove the metal slots at the back I finnally managed to install the graphics card I finnally managed to get it to fit and when I wired it all up I plugged the HDMI in ready to boot. (Was this a mistake?) should I have booted with VGA and downloaded a driver or summet?

The reason I say that is because the screen didint come on at all. I unplugged it again and removed the graphics card to see if it would work in VGA again. Thank God it did! Anyway I put the graphics card back in and tried again. This time with the intention of booting from VGA and seeing if there where any download options. But again it didnt work in VGA.

Im confused?

I went to the local conouter shop and asked for the ones you reccomended but they didnt have one instead he offered a used one as he had plenty. Could it ve faulty? Or have I messed up?

It doesn't sound like you made any mistakes. I'd probably recommend the following steps.

Shut down the computer.
If not installed already, install the graphics card into the PCI-Ex16 slot.
Connect your display to the MOTHERBOARD'S VGA output.
Power up the computer.
Go to the graphics card driver web site (depending on card, amd.com or nvidia.com) and download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card and OS.
Once the drivers are installed, shut down your computer and connect your display to the VGA output of the graphics card.
Restart your computer.

At this point, you should see your computer booting on the display.

-Wolf sends

Mar 19, 2017

The Motherboards VGA doesnt work when the Graphics card is in Wolf. Theres no display whatsover unless i remove the graphics card then VGA works aa normal :(

Mar 19, 2017

I'm Thinking of taking it into the shop and just saying "Fit me a HDMI in that will ya pal""! (Sigh)

I'm not sure buddy. It has HDMI 5450 512M DDR3 wrote on the top?

Status
Not open for further replies.