Desktop Audio Unplugged

Austinwhite

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
So I have currently upgraded my GPU. When doing so I also installed all the drives on the CD it came with. That was a mistake because I already had all the devices up to date. Now my audio doesn't work on my PC. I can plug anything into the jacks both front and back and nothing will happen. In the volume control it says "not Plugged in" for my speakers. Before this if I did that a pop up would tell me I plugged something in. I've reset my PC twice and reinstalled all the drivers multiple times. My Specs:
CPU- FX 6300 6 Core Processor
GPU- Radeon R9 380
Mobo- 760GMA P-34
RAM-8G

Solution
Did you reinstall the drivers from the CD you received or from the GPU's manufacturer's website?

However, "not plugged in" may be a clue. Do speakers work on another PC?

Look at the devices listed and see if your speakers appear. If so, right click on them and select "Properties". There are other selection choices as well. Check them.

Right click the little speaker icon (probably right lower corner of your screen and select "Playback Devices".

Look at the General tab - you are looking for the window showing the available jacks. Make sure you are plugged in to match.

Did you reinstall the drivers from the CD you received or from the GPU's manufacturer's website?

However, "not plugged in" may be a clue. Do speakers work on another PC?

Look at the devices listed and see if your speakers appear. If so, right click on them and select "Properties". There are other selection choices as well. Check them.

Right click the little speaker icon (probably right lower corner of your screen and select "Playback Devices".

Look at the General tab - you are looking for the window showing the available jacks. Make sure you are plugged in to match.

Solution

gondo

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Go in Control Panel and Sound. Check to see if the HDMI audio device is selected. It's possible when you installed the video card it selected your HDMI video card sound as the default. Switch it back to your onboard Realtek or whatever you have.

Set your onboard sound as default. Unmute and adjust volumes jsut to make sure and it should work. You gotta go to control panel - sound to set the default device.