Deutsche Telekom Expects $6 Billion Windfall From AT&T

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
IMO the deal is done and these are just fake "rejection" games to make it look to the citizens that DOJ is actually doing something. With additional "conditions" and larger bribes AT&T will most likely get it done.

I have AT&T as a cellphone company and I do not want it approved. Their flatout lie about not eliminating competition is crazy and just shows what a sleezy and corrupt company it really is.

Even in the small chance it gets shut down ATT still win- this will weaken T-mobile in US considerately and their stock will be worth nothing, not to mention they have been eliminating anything like cool and competitive features/prices/deals they had under pressure from AT&T.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Is it just me, or does it seem like Deutsche Telekom found a clause that led them to believe the merger would never work in the first place? Free payday!?!?

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I know someone that works at local T-Mobile sales center & they all believe their jobs would be eliminated if AT&T takes over + everyone at T-Mobile headquarters would be gone also. Thats pretty much everyone gone that worked at T-mobile.. AT&T just wants to eliminate competition.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Finally the DOJ does something right, I mean this was all Verizon, but the T-MObile purchase would have been the worst thing that could happen. NOt only that, then you would lose even more jobs as AT&T consolidated operations. The odd thing here is why can't the US Government see this stuff normally? If not already for the hard economic times this merger would have gone through.

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]gto127[/nom]I know someone that works at local T-Mobile sales center & they all believe their jobs would be eliminated if AT&T takes over + everyone at T-Mobile headquarters would be gone also. Thats pretty much everyone gone that worked at T-mobile.. AT&T just wants to eliminate competition.[/citation]

I doubt that every job at T-Mobile will be completely eliminated. Its possible a lot of the T-Mobile stores just turn into AT&T stores or employees at those stores are transferred to AT&T stores to compensate for the uptick in customers they would be hoping to receive.

There will definitely be layoffs. But if an entire company disappears, that means jobs are opening up somewhere else to fill the gap, and they should be first in line to get those jobs.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I would imagine that all the T-mobile retail jobs would be eliminated. AT&T has already said they only want T-Mobile for their towers. That means engineers, retail workers, customer service reps, management would all be worthless to AT&T. That will stimulate the economy... I am glad AT&T loses here.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
AT&T seems to be trying to sleaze out of it so we'll see how much DT actually gets from it.

The merger rumors have severely hurt T-Mobile already...a lot of monthly subscribers have left...the only thing that can probably attract them back is a version of the iPhone for T-Mobile, but Apple probably assumed the merger would go through so they never made one for the T-Mobile GSM bands :p

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]This doesn't make sense. Our politicians and political system has been corrupt for decades now -- especially in how they view, and support businesses and corporations in ANY and EVERY way possible. Our government isn't supposed to stand up and protect the little people -- they're supposed to be corrupt like normal and let the big corporations crush the little guys. Since they aren't letting this happen, I can't help but wonder why? Maybe other corporations who have these politicians in their pockets were not pleased with the AT&T merger? This most definitely isn't about defending those whom cannot fight back. Someone definitely paid the DOJ off. Question is: who?[/citation]

This is a pretty pessimistic view that I think is probably without merit. I can't think of any recent mergers happening that left me wondering how it was possible the DoJ allowed it to happen.

They don't need to be paid off by large companies anyway. All those companies have to do is say "we don't like this" and the DoJ would be obligated to investigate.

I don't follow business mergers of course, but if you can name any off the top of your head that should never have been allowed, for obvious reasons, let me know and I'll gladly retract my statement.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]This doesn't make sense. Our politicians and political system has been corrupt for decades now -- especially in how they view, and support businesses and corporations in ANY and EVERY way possible. Our government isn't supposed to stand up and protect the little people -- they're supposed to be corrupt like normal and let the big corporations crush the little guys. Since they aren't letting this happen, I can't help but wonder why? Maybe other corporations who have these politicians in their pockets were not pleased with the AT&T merger? This most definitely isn't about defending those whom cannot fight back. Someone definitely paid the DOJ off. Question is: who?[/citation]

There's an election coming up. They have to pretend to care for a little while or their job might go to a different crook.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]There's an election coming up. They have to pretend to care for a little while or their job might go to a different crook.[/citation]

This^^^^^^^

Our gov't is totally corrupt and bought and paid for by big globalist corporations that love sending all US jobs to slave wage China.

G

ROFL, 6 billion dollars as a penalty fee for failed takeover, thats harsh! I'm surprised ATT had the balls to even attempt this, knowing the backlash it would cause.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I hope AT&T fails in its bid,but I can't see this happening though. Most companies want to get rid of its competition so as to be able to charge their customers more & more money. Maybe even by the half yearly intevals,say twice a year up go your monthly bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.