Device not booting up automatically after installing ssd + hdd in a laptop

Mar 29, 2018
I have a toshiba tecra a50, replaced my hdd with an ssd, it worked just fine. When I used a caddy to reinstall my old hdd with removed system files, the pc won't boot from my ssd to start windows automatically. I have to press F12 everytime I start my pc to select the boot device. I've already set my ssd 1st in boot priority and disabled booting from other devices but it doesn't seem to work. Is there anything else that I need to do?

Solution
Ok ... my understanding is ... when the old hard drive is removed from the system - it boots fine ... when it's attached ... it won't boot without using F12 ... is that correct?

If so, I suspect there is still some windows stuff on the original hard drive that is causing the problem. Using the dos prompt to clear windows is probably not the way to do it (hidden files etc. etc.). It doesn't take much for windows to fall on it's a**.
If I were you, I would temporarily copy the folders and files you want from the original hard drive to another drive (perhaps the ssd is big enough to hold them or perhaps you have an external hard drive). Once you have the files copied .... format that original hard drive (which will remove everything)...

robert600

Distinguished

Do you mean you set this in the bios itself or do you mean in the "Boot Device Menu"? To be permanent, you have to do it in the bios.

Mar 29, 2018
Hi Robert, thanks for the help. I've set all of these in the BIOS selecting my SSD 1st in the list of boot priority but I have to press F12 everytime I start my pc to select my SSD and start windows normally.

robert600

Distinguished
That's odd - when you go back into your bios - is the ssd still selected as 1st in the boot priority or is something changing it somehow?

Also ... you said "my old hdd with removed system files". I'm not sure what this means ... how were the system files removed?

Mar 29, 2018
The ssd is still 1st in the list of boot priority when I go back to BIOS. I've used command prompt to clear my hdd of the sytem files even assigned it as a logical drive, still not booting automatically. Need to press F12 to startup.

robert600

Distinguished
Ok ... my understanding is ... when the old hard drive is removed from the system - it boots fine ... when it's attached ... it won't boot without using F12 ... is that correct?

If so, I suspect there is still some windows stuff on the original hard drive that is causing the problem. Using the dos prompt to clear windows is probably not the way to do it (hidden files etc. etc.). It doesn't take much for windows to fall on it's a**.
If I were you, I would temporarily copy the folders and files you want from the original hard drive to another drive (perhaps the ssd is big enough to hold them or perhaps you have an external hard drive). Once you have the files copied .... format that original hard drive (which will remove everything) and then copy the files you want back to it. I think that will solve the problem.

Solution
Apr 3, 2018
I just fixed the same problem! I'm new to this computer stuff so sorry if some of my terminology is off. ...Anyway, after much googling and formatting the old hard drive a few times, I ended up switching the SATA cords, so the new SSD now connects to the port on the motherboard that the original hard drive was connected to and the old hard drive now connects to the "second" port