Difference between DSLR and RED

SuchJelly

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014
Hey I'm wondering what the differences in DSLR cameras and RED cameras are. The quality of picture etc. in uses such as full length movies, short films and music videos.
Also what role lenses play.

To clarify, im not looking to buy a RED camera or anything, i was just wondering why the price was so high and the quality just a little better.

Solution

In these scenarios, a RED will do wonders, but the budget is too far.
One thing he should know is that you RED sells the camera recorder or "brain" as they call it separately from the other parts, so after buying a "brain" you need to buy accessories to be able to use the camera.
Here's the builder for a full fledged camera from RED : http://www.red.com/builder
I don't think you can get anything under $15000.

USAFRet

Illustrious

This is on the level of "What is the difference between a Ferrari and a Mustang?"

RED is a seriously pro level camera system. Large $$$.

lakimens

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

Yeah, this is true too. Forgot to mention.

lakimens

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
RED cameras are seriously top-level equipment and are not for everyone. Their cameras sell as expensively as $60,000.
What you're better off getting one of the mid-level models of Canon, Nikon or Sony.
I'm not an expert on cameras, but I don't think you are ready to spend serious buck if you are a starter.]

Yes, lenses do matter, there are special lenses for almost every occasion, Zoom, Macro, Wide...

Hafiz Tronics

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
I'm not sure exactly what would be the big difference in picture, but you've gotta remember that almost all DLSR videos are lower budget and worse than REDs videos, so that will affect the film- like look

SuchJelly

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014

The dslr video was not really representetive of the quality you can get from them, i have managed to get a lot better picture that that. I do still see a difference from some of the best videos i found of dslrs but the price to quality ratio is really off.

SuchJelly

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014

I asked about lenses because i understand some or most pro lenses are only compatible with RED and other high end camera manufacturers. I also wonder how big of a difference a lets say wide angle (or other types) dslr lense vs a wide angle cinema grade lense is.

USAFRet

Illustrious

You only buy into the RED ecosystem if you have a LARGE budget, and a real need.
Budget = well into 5 figures to start.

What camera system to get largely depends on two things.
Use and budget.
What are they?

lakimens

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

In these scenarios, a RED will do wonders, but the budget is too far.
One thing he should know is that you RED sells the camera recorder or "brain" as they call it separately from the other parts, so after buying a "brain" you need to buy accessories to be able to use the camera.
Here's the builder for a full fledged camera from RED : http://www.red.com/builder
I don't think you can get anything under $15000.

Solution

lakimens

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

I know, the Canon 100D is not the best DSLR, but I wanted him to see what a normal priced camera can do, because RED is a very overpriced camera compared to any DSLR and there are overpriced DSLR's.