Vlorlich

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Not sure if this is the right forum but I am running out of ideas. I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 Enterprise.

I get this error. I am taking a class and I need SQL Server 2008 installed for it. I am running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. C Drive is a SSD drive and D is my HDD. I have made sure that my Framework .NET is up to date and I even repaired it. I have installed multiple other programs like Microsoft Visual 2008, Microsoft Office 2007, and a crazy amount of games. I have even tried the Express version and I get the same error. I have searched all over for support but found nothing. Please help!

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup
------------------------------

The following error has occurred:

SQL Server Setup has encountered an error when running a Windows Installer file.

Windows Installer error message: Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and that you can write to it.

Windows Installer file: D:\Downloads\SQL Server Enterprise 2008 x86+x64+ia64 en-us\SQL Server Enterprise 2008\_SQL Server Enterprise 2008\x64\redist\watson\dw20sharedamd64.msi
Windows Installer log file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20121008_185931\WatsonX64_Cpu64_1_ComponentUpdate.log

Click 'Retry' to retry the failed action, or click 'Cancel' to cancel this action and continue setup.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=10.0.1600.22&EvtType=0xFB92A9BB

BUTTONS:

&Retry
Cancel

Vlorlich

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I am and I have tried. I tried this on two computers both with a SSD as the boot drive (c:) and it being downloaded to the HDD (D:). I pulled out an old laptop (all have Win7 Home Premium) and it only has one a single drive and it installed fine. Crazy. I know others had this problem but no one ever posted a solution.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply :)

dana803

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Do you have .net 4 installed? That causes problems with the install of SQL. Not sure if that applies to you since there isn't enough info. SQL only requires 3.5. If you have .net 4 installed, you might want to uninstall that, reboot and try again. If you have things on your computer that require .net 4, you can try reinstalling it after you get SQL installed. You might need to google .net 4 and sql to see if there is anything else you may need to do to get those sql and .net 4 to live peacefully on the same machine, if you indeed actually need .net 4.