Digital Audio Output from TV to Computer Input

Gerardguy

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Hello, I need a hero, please. I have connected my Panasonic TC-L42U5 tv my HP a6433w computer (running Windows Vista), using HDMI cable. Okay, I an use the tv screen as a computer monitor. My goal is to get the tv to output the sound to my computer speakers, which are plugged into the Realtek audio card. All I really have for audo out on the tv is a digital coaxial out, and that is plugged into the digital in on my hp. But I get no sound. What can I do?

Are you trying to get regular TV audio from the TV to the PC speakers or PC audio from the TV to the PC speakers?

If it's the latter, then it's just a matter of changing the default audio device from Digital HDMI to Speakers.

If it's the former, your HDTV does have a digital audio output (though I suspect it's TOSLink Optical). Your motherboard does have a Coaxial S/PDIF input. Assuming optical out on the HDTV, you'd need some sort of optical to coaxial audio converter.

These options are based on the following products:

Product Specification HP Pavilion A6433w - Motherboard Specification
Panasonic TV-L42U5

-Wolf sends

Gerardguy

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

Thank you kindly for responding, Wolf. Actually, I do not have optical audio, it's digital coaxial audio. I have the coaxial audio output on the TV connected to the digital coaxial audio input on my computet's mainboard connected. The 5.1 surround speakers are connected to the Realtek audio card. I'm trying to watch my tv on the TV, but get my audio through the computer speakers (rather than the onboard tv speakers).

To be honest, I've never seen a coaxial audio input on a motherboard like yours has. Since you have a direct connection between the HDTV and the PC using a coaxial cable, there must be something in the software for your audio controls that allows you to listen to the input. I looked through the manual, but didn't find anything. Sorry.

-Wolf sends

Gerardguy

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Thank you so much for your time and attention, guys. Without knowing much about the Windows audio control panel, I have tried tweaking a few things, but it seems to behave strangely in what it says and does. And I have observed that the tab for my digital input is "locked." I wonder if there is anything to do with the digital audio out from the tv is a pcm or Dolby digital surround stream ouput. In which case, why would my HP have such an input if it does not have such a decoder, and if the audio card that was included ia a Realtek with up to 7.1 surround? Still hoping... :)