Digital Coax audio output to 3.5 mm input on soundbar

joluedtke

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
I purchased a Samsung soundbar and am trying to pair it with my TV. My TV only has HDMI ARC or digital coax output. The soundbar will only input with digital optical or 3.5 mm AUX. Is there a cord system that can go from the audio coax output on the TV to the 3.5 mm AUX input on the soundbar?

Obviously a quick Google and Amazon search has showed there are many converters out there, however because I am far from an electronics expert, if there is a recommended converter (or other system I am not aware of) it would be greatly appreciated to hear from you all.

joluedtke

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016

Great; thanks again. I appreciate the input. Yeah I have no need for fancy cables....no pretty set up needed, just something to work.

On a side topic now that I know this should work, (and this may seem like a stupid question) - if I have a DVD player & Firestick paired with this TV, will the sound from the movie/Firestick go to the soundbar/subwoofer setup as well or do I need to look for an alternate converter with more inputs....?

Wow-wow-wo-wow! NOW you are throwing in the monkey wrench. Your original post mentioned nothing about hooking up anything else, and you got major issues there.

The SPDIF output is only good for Aerial and QAM TV programs (signal that comes in through the coax connector)

Anything else, DVD, game console, turntable, Cable Box through HDMI, MUST, MUST be hookup to the sound bar assuming it has all the inputs that you require.

So: Source Components -----(with all inputs required)----> Soundbar ----(HDMI)----> TV

Your major problem is, soundbars tend to be very limited, has no/few inputs that you required. This same goes for boxes/kits that are labeled HOME THEATER. Very limited, hooking up existing/other things to it like a DVD player difficult to impossible.

The correct things to do is, for flexibility and able to accommodate your existing equipment, is to purchase an honest-to-God AV Surround Receiver with multiple inputs as you require + discrete, passive (fancy worlds for plain old) speakers.

joluedtke

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016

I wondered if there would be other issues - I'm glad I asked. I assumed (an apparently incorrectly - you know what happens when you assume), that since they DVD player and Firestick were currently hooked up to the TV via HDMI cable, that all I needed to do was magically get the sound from the coax output of the TV to the input of the soundbar and I would be able to hear whatever was on the screen (over air TV, movie from DVD player, or Netflix from Firestick).

I guess I have some things to think about.......

brownie_10

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Did you ever figure this out man? I got digital coax output on my TV and digital coax input on my sound bar

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Audio 6
A Audio 4
D Audio 1
T Audio 2
S Audio 1
C Audio 4
Y Audio 2
J Audio 10
S Audio 4
R Audio 10
D Audio 2