Digital Storm xm15?

darthcamronius

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I have been looking for a laptop for quite a while and have had a few problems. I started with the Sony VAIO E Series 14" and realised I hate Windows 8. Decided to get a Lenovo and found a couple that seemed promising but was unsure if they would give me enough performance, then Lenovo practically stopped selling Windows 7 laptops entirely. I figure I should look into gaming laptops to not only play Minecraft (which obviously doesn't require that much power), but SimCity and other various low-to-high quality video games. I also need to do school work and web browsing and email and what-not (that's what it's mostly for). I thought I had settled on the Alienware x14 but I was given a bit of doubt by my not-so-tech-savvy cousin the other night about Alienware so I kept looking and figured out I could get better performance for less price through Digital Storm. I found the xm15 and put my uneducated customization powers on it. My budget is roughly $1300 and I don't know a whole lot about hardware (I know enough) so if you keep the jargon at intermediate level that would be great(I'll probably list too much information because I don't really know what matters)! Here are the specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 3630QM (2.4 GHz Turbo Mode to 3.4GHz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache) [can be upgraded & downgraded]
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz [can be downgraded]
HD: 750GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Internet Access: Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1202 [can be downgraded]
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M 1GB with NVIDIA Optimus Technology [I'm worried about this, should I be?]
Cooling: Stock CPU and GPU Thermal Compound [can be upgraded, do I need to?]
Display: 15.6 Inch (90% NTSC Color Gamut) (16:9) (1920 x 1080) (Matte) LED-Backlit Display [optional glossy screen, which is better? Also, what is Color Gamut?]
Cost: $1,194

Is that really good for the price? And if you noticed, I had some notes and questions for various specs. What should I upgrade or downgrade? Do I need a better video card? It can't be upgraded on the site, should I find a better model and lower the price but keep the video card? Should I buy better card separately? And I think I prefer matte but I've never been able to compare them personally.

It's a lot to ask, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

darthcamronius

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I was just looking over the customization page on digitalstorm.com for my xm15 and noticed the selection area for motherboard and power supply are blank. they say "Not Available." Does that mean it doesn't come with a motherboard or power supply? Or you just cant change it? I obviously need both of those, right? Thanks again!

Hi :)

It doesn't list as an option as you CANNOT change it...you get both with NO choices... this isn't a PC ...

All the best Brett :)