DirectTV setting up tv2 on VIP722

elmonomalo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Hello,

I have setup my directTV network with the following configuration and menu settings and I cannot watch both TV1 and TV2 at the same time:

TV network setup

Menu configuration: Setup-->Installation-->Modulation: TV1 cable (channel 75), TV2 cable (channel 85). DVR is lit up blue on TV2 and I have gotten the connection to work through reseting the DVR. There is also a TV3 which works correctly - it's sole function is to mirror what TV1 sees. More details below.

I confirmed that either TV1 or TV2 will work while the other will display a signal loss error [11-11-11 or 11-12-11 (015a)] and it is seemingly random. By seemingly random, I mean that I hit the reset button on the DVR unit and sometimes TV1 would work, other times TV2 would work. When one works the other gets a signal loss error. The remotes are working on both TV's and I can change TV2 without affecting TV1, so I believe I have the correct setup.

I am unsure of what I need next. Do I need to run the sat1 and sat2 coax through an amplifier? Maybe I need another dvr box at TV2? Please see image I uploaded for the setup. I tried a few different setups and the way I have it currently seemed to work the best.

Thank you!
Aaron

EDIT: Update 7/11/16

I just thought of something that could potentially be the problem after doing more digging around. Do you think it is possible that I would need a new splitter for the TV2 connection? I believe the one I have in there now has a range of up to 1000 MHz and if I have been reading correctly, TV2 goes on a higher frequency of 1650-2150 MHz. Would this be creating a filter effect causing TV2 to run at TV1 frequency when I hit the reset button and only allowing one connection to work at a time?

Solution
are you paying for two tv? if so why didn't directv set it up.

also my understanding is your dish will need two different receivers on the dish and will have two different cables running to your one box inside, not one cable that gets split. (the receivers on the dish are active and only send necessary data to the box for decode. so you have to have one reciver on the dish per a channel.

if your not paying for two tvs then your not going to be able to watch more then one channel at once there boxes are smarter then that.if you are paying for multiable devices then call directv. I'm sure there great service will fix it for you....eventually

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
are you paying for two tv? if so why didn't directv set it up.

also my understanding is your dish will need two different receivers on the dish and will have two different cables running to your one box inside, not one cable that gets split. (the receivers on the dish are active and only send necessary data to the box for decode. so you have to have one reciver on the dish per a channel.

if your not paying for two tvs then your not going to be able to watch more then one channel at once there boxes are smarter then that.if you are paying for multiable devices then call directv. I'm sure there great service will fix it for you....eventually

Solution

elmonomalo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

When it was originally set up (in a remote area), it was set up with the VIP722 which is a dual tuner DVR. The tech recommended this so that two tv's could be used with the box. I would hate to have them make a service call if this is something simple that I could do myself. The DVR model I have has a dual mode option that allows both satellite channels to be used with one DVR. Yes, I am paying for it.

I agree with what you said about 1 receiver per line but it was my understanding that the triplexer that is hooked up separates the two channels (one on low frequency and the other on high) and since the DVR is a dual tuner with the option to watch one tv in HD and one in SD, I can watch my programming on 2 tvs. The original setup included 2 remotes, one IR and the other UHF, so I am pretty sure my current setup should be fine without another DVR box.