Display will not work anymore due to virus on pendrive

Mar 26, 2018
Hello there, just recently, my display monitor on my Dell Inspiron 1525 would not work anymore. I was just plugging in my regular USB on it, and opened up the pendrive shortcut (I knew it was a virus, but didn't care less about it at the time) and when I clicked on a file, my display went off, when I tried to restart the laptop, it could not work.

But upon further examination, I found out that the LCD panels were still working and showing graphics (after I shone a flashlight at the monitor), but the backlight wont work, I plugged this in an external monitor and the graphics were still fine, so I ruled it out as a videocard problem. I was thinking a virus could have changed the system files and disabled the backlight of my laptop. Thanks.

hang-the-9

Titan
Is the screen dim even in the BIOS loading screen?

This does not sound like it was caused by a virus, sounds like your screen just went out. If the BIOS screen is fine, and
you know that USB stick has a virus, time to do a clean Windows setup on the system, that will cure any Windows issues you may have.

Albrett

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
Can you see a logo when the laptop starts up (or get into the BIOS)? Generally Viruses will run with the operating system. If the BIOS is also dark, it's likely the back-light has simply failed.

Mar 26, 2018
I can get into the BIOS and even run it on Safe Mode, but while examining the USB, I came across this desktop config file in the USB, I wonder if it has any sort of relevance...
[.ShellClassInfo]

IconResource=%systemroot%\system32\SHELL32.dll,7

IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

IconIndex=7

(and one more thing I did not mention: When I intially opened the shortcut, a RunDLL error said something along the lines of "error opening /random set of numbers and letters", and when I unplugged and replugged the USB, and clicked the fle, the laptop went off.)

hang-the-9

Titan
Is the screen dim even in the BIOS loading screen?

This does not sound like it was caused by a virus, sounds like your screen just went out. If the BIOS screen is fine, and
you know that USB stick has a virus, time to do a clean Windows setup on the system, that will cure any Windows issues you may have.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pokz Laptop Tech Support 1
miluti Laptop Tech Support 2
saurabhaggarwal Laptop Tech Support 3
R Laptop Tech Support 2
Fonyaesss Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 0
blaze5059 Laptop Tech Support 0
A Laptop Tech Support 14
Andrusky Laptop Tech Support 0
A Laptop Tech Support 0
H Laptop Tech Support 0